• The Met
  • The Art Renewal Center
  • William Bouguereau

  • My Favorite Art
  • Jeune Fille se Defendant Contre L'amour
    by William Bouguereau

  • Le_ravissement de Psyche
    by William Bouguereau

  • Flagellation de Notre Seigneur Jésus Christ
    by William Bouguereau
My Photo
Name:
Location: Liverpool, NY

"In my house, I'm a big deal. That's all that matters."

email

About The Ultra Rev

Facebook


Free Hit Counters

Powered by Blogger

Sunday, March 20, 2005

What Would Jesus Say to Scott Peterson?

I went to Willowcreek Community Church some time between 1991-92. Lee Strobel was there at the time and I heard him do his sermon series "What Would Jesus say to ..." I think the first one was Murphy Brown but there were several others and, of course, there was a book to follow. I loved it.

Every now and again I'll do a similar sermon. Last year I did a "What Would Jesus Say to Pete Rose?" ... like, "Don't gamble on eternity."

Today I was moved to preach "What Would Jesus Say to Scott Peterson?" Scott Peterson was convicted of murdering his wife, Laci, and unborn child, Conner. This past week he was sentenced to death.

Here are my incomplete sermon notes. I don't do a manuscript but this is the gist of it:

You have done a horrible thing. I am the author of life, and you have no right to take a life: born or unborn. And you have caused pain and grief beyond measure.
  • I give life and it is not for anyone but me to take away. Murder is sin Scott, and you must repent.
  • But what you have meant for harm, I can use for good. I am a Redeemer. No matter what tragic situation occurs, I can use it for my own glory and good, just as in the death of my son Jesus.
I know what it's like to be in your shoes.
  • The court of public opinion against you calling for your demise.
  • The legal court sentencing you to death. Being on death row. But I've been through death row and lived to tell about it.
The opinion of a human court is not my opinion of you, and don't confuse the two.
  • In our society sentenced to death, means you are no longer a person of worth or value. There is no forgiveness for you. Ultimately, you don't matter anymore. If you value life so little, then we value your life very little. An eye for an eye. A tooth for a tooth. Retributive justice.
  • Despite the horrible things you have done Scott, you matter to me. I love you. So much so, that I gave the life of my Son for you. No one is beyond my love and redemption.
  • If you will confess and repent of your sins, I will forgive you.
You will step into eternity, likely sooner than you expected. You need to choose where you will spend eternity NOW!
  • Don't fear death Scott, fear the judgment that come after you die. You will have no attorney, there will be no preponderance of the evidence. I know what you've done. Everything you have ever done. Ever.
  • Dr. D. James Kennedy: If you died today and were to show up at the gates of Heaven, and God would say, "Why should I let you in?" what would you say?
  • All those nice things that your attorney and the other witnesses said about you, will get you no where here.
Repent and make the rest of your days on this earth meaningful.
  • Don't sit there being a victim of your own creation.
  • Instead of bringing death, be a bearer of light to the inmates, prison guards, judges, attorneys, and anyone else you have contact with.
  • Make every day meaningful and live passionately every moment of every day for Me.
The truth is, all our days on this earth are numbered. We too need to be ready for eternity and need to live passionately for Jesus every moment of every day, whether it is spent in a 5'x9' cell or in our home, or school, ... wherever.

Comments on "What Would Jesus Say to Scott Peterson?"

 

Blogger Rick said ... (3:09 PM, March 21, 2005) : 

A fine job there Steve. Straight-shooting yet overflowing with grace.

 

post a comment