• The Met
  • The Art Renewal Center
  • William Bouguereau

  • My Favorite Art
  • Jeune Fille se Defendant Contre L'amour
    by William Bouguereau

  • Le_ravissement de Psyche
    by William Bouguereau

  • Flagellation de Notre Seigneur Jésus Christ
    by William Bouguereau
My Photo
Name:
Location: Liverpool, NY

"In my house, I'm a big deal. That's all that matters."

email

About The Ultra Rev

Facebook


Free Hit Counters

Powered by Blogger

Saturday, January 26, 2008

Christian Ethics for Boob Jobs & other cosmetic surgeries

Extreme Makeover. Dr. 90210. Everybody's getting their breasts done. Right? According to this CT article: All I Want for Christmas Is a Bigger Bust, even Christian women are talking about it. Another CT article is a round table discussion about Christians and Cosmetic Surgery. We need think about the ethics and theology behind breast enhancements, liposuction, face lifts, tummy tucks, even g-spot shots.

I don't think this is a cut and dry issue but neither do I think it is adiaphora. There are several theological issues that need to be addressed. Let's first establish that we are talking about elective surgery for cosmetic purposes. This is different than someone getting a breast reduction to ease their back pain, or even a body lift after gastric bypass.

There is the stewardship issue. Generally insurance does not cover these very costly expenses. There is the theology of our body issue and how do we view God as creator. There is the issue of what is appropriate in making oneself attractive for a finding our mate or for our spouse -- which are two separate issues. There's an issue of spiritual warfare here also. What are the lies the evil is attempting to get us to believe?

Elective cosmetic surgery is becoming more mainstream as we see it repeatedly on television, magazines, etc. Christian leaders need to give their people, especially young people a Biblical theological framework for thinking about these issues. How do we honor God when we go to see the plastic surgeon?

Content-wise, I don't think there was much in seminary that gave me insight into such issues. But I thank God that I went to a seminary like North Park that taught me how to think critically and didn't spoon feed me tired cliches.

This quote from the article really bothered me:
"'One woman who participated in a roundtable for Today's Christian Woman said she would not allow her daughter to undergo an operation until she turns 21. After then it's fair game. "Talking about internal beauty is fine for a grandmother or a mentor," she said. "But what about for a teenage girl trying to attract a mate? How she looks determines what kind of husband she'll get."'
First, why is a teenage girl attempting to attract a mate. How about waiting a few years, honey?

Secondly, look at that lie right from the pit of hell: How she looks determines what kind of husband she'll get????? That's not true! But that's spiritual warfare: the evil one breeding lies.

Comments on "Christian Ethics for Boob Jobs & other cosmetic surgeries"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:22 PM, February 04, 2008) : 

Interesting topic and even more interesting to me to find it on your blog so soon after the discussion in our 'Young Marrieds' group in church. We have one gal who got a "boob job", one who just returned from Minneapolis Surgery center after gettings her breasts done and a whole slew of gals who now feel like, "Are my boobs okay?" I talked to my husband about this. Like most moms who have nursed babies, I too, feel that I may have "lost" what I once had in that department. My husband, thinks I am marvelous the way I am, his commment: "Once you have any surgery, there is no going back, you never again can be what you were before the surgery". I agree with him. I also agree however; that the pressure is on, even in Christian women's groups as I have attested to. Incidently, I just got hair extension! My husband loves long hair and I cannot grow it. Genetically, I just can't. So he thought we might try extensions. I have to say, we both love them. If my husband would have liked my hair short, I would have been happy to keep it short, but alas, he did not. In regards to cosmetic procedure then, I weigh in with this: Your husband should be the ONLY person, besides God and a medical professional, whose opinion and recommendation make the decision.

 

Blogger theultrarev said ... (1:55 PM, February 04, 2008) : 

Thank you very much. You confirmed my point. Christian women ARE talking about these issues. My real question is, have Christian pastors and theologians given their people a theological framework for discussing these matters? While we don't need sermons about breast enhancements or liposuction, we do need sermons and classes Biblical ethics, giving Christian men and women the Biblical principles to use for making decisions on these matters.

 

Blogger theultrarev said ... (2:00 PM, February 04, 2008) : 

lesley ...

I knew you were born to be a blogger!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:04 PM, February 11, 2008) : 

It is so interesting that I found this.. I am a young christian woman...Im 23, I have 2 children. That expression you used earlier,"what i have is "lost" after my children." is an understatement to what breastfeeding 2 beautiful girls did to me. I want to be very careful about what i put in my body.. I remind myself that GOD will renew my body when i die to be perfected and then I'll have a perfect chest...a perfect everything...and i know that will happen. It is just hard being so young with a disfigured body. I just wanted to have the augmentation to make me fit naturally in my clothes, not to pick up men or look better in a bathing suit. Nothing is worse than trying on clothes and realizing that everything sags on my chest or that no matter how much padding I put in my bra..everything slides out when I lye down or bend over.
I have been asking around with other christian people if they new any scripture that talked about that..if it was permissable or not. Believe me I don't want to stand before GOD and have him say. "Now what are those? I didn't put those there!" . Its enough that Im a sinner better yet go about changing how GOD made me. Please help. I don't know what to think about this.
p.s. sorry for the graphics but lets just say my 2 girls were fed the best of me:)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:52 PM, February 14, 2008) : 

Some food for thought...whats the difference between cosmetic dentistry and a breast augmentaion?...your doing the same thing (improving your appearence) When a person gets their teeth done..you say wow you look great, but when a woman has fake breasts people think wow, shes permiscuous.

 

Blogger theultrarev said ... (12:05 AM, February 15, 2008) : 

anonymous mom, thanks for sharing. I don't know you, but I'll bet you're still very beautiful even with a little sag — probably more beautiful than you know. there's probably a huge difference in how you feel about how your clothes are fitting you and how you actually look. Personally, I think the sag of a breastfeeding mom is kind of a badge of honor.

Scripture doesn't really address cosmetic surgery. It does address stewardship. Is that the wisest use of your funds? Only you can answer that.

Scripture does address the motives of our hearts. Is a breast augmentation just to feel better about how one looks? Or are there some deeper insecurities or issues related to shame?

Just some thoughts. I really don't have all the answers -- yet -- but I'm giving it a lot of thought.

 

Blogger theultrarev said ... (12:09 AM, February 15, 2008) : 

anonymous #2 -- I've pondered that question: What's the difference between cosmetic dentistry and a breast augmentation?

One gives you a nicer smile and makes one's face more attractive -- perhaps only minimally making one more sexually appealing. The other is directly related to -- not entirely but related to -- one's sexual attractiveness.

They are both cosmetic but one is more sexually charged than the other.

 

post a comment