• The Met
  • The Art Renewal Center
  • William Bouguereau

  • My Favorite Art
  • Jeune Fille se Defendant Contre L'amour
    by William Bouguereau

  • Le_ravissement de Psyche
    by William Bouguereau

  • Flagellation de Notre Seigneur Jésus Christ
    by William Bouguereau
My Photo
Name:
Location: Liverpool, NY

"In my house, I'm a big deal. That's all that matters."

email

About The Ultra Rev

Facebook


Free Hit Counters

Powered by Blogger

Friday, July 23, 2010

Pet Communion

VirtueOnline: TORONTO: Can a dog receive communion?

An Anglican priest in Toronto gave communion to a visitor in church ... and his dog. It was a spontaneous act that was meant to communicate welcome. At least one parishioner was offended and left the church after filing complaints with the parish and diocese. The Bishop said, "I think the reverend was overcome by what I consider a misguided gesture of welcoming."

As a serious question, I wonder what God thinks?

Certainly the gesture was kind and loving. Though it also showed a poor grasp of theology as communion is meant for believers. There doesn't seem to be any biblical indication that communion is meant to be outreach.

For consubstantiationists, those who believe the bread and wine are turned into the body and blood of Jesus, this could have been particularly offensive. I remember as a kid in the Roman Catholic Church that the priest would place the wafer on my tongue while the altar server held a plate underneath my chin so the host would not touch the floor if it was accidentally dropped. Feeding it to a dog might seem particularly disrespectful them.

But what does God think? Any comment?

Comments on "Pet Communion"

 

Blogger Cathy and Jim said ... (12:45 PM, July 24, 2010) : 

I love our dog Abby like crazy, but I think a cold hot dog for her would be more appreciated than whatever type of nourishment is offered at Communion.

 

post a comment