• The Met
  • The Art Renewal Center
  • William Bouguereau

  • My Favorite Art
  • Jeune Fille se Defendant Contre L'amour
    by William Bouguereau

  • Le_ravissement de Psyche
    by William Bouguereau

  • Flagellation de Notre Seigneur Jésus Christ
    by William Bouguereau
My Photo
Name:
Location: Liverpool, NY

"In my house, I'm a big deal. That's all that matters."

email

About The Ultra Rev

Facebook


Free Hit Counters

Powered by Blogger

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Brad.Boydston.us: On reading scripture

For the past couple weeks I've been thinking about buying NT Wright's book Simply Christian. St. Brad of Abet had this quote on his blog, which has convinced me I need to order it before I go to bed tonight:

Brad.Boydston.us: On reading scripture: "On reading scripture '...my point at the moment is simply this: reading the Bible aloud is always central to Christian worship. Cutting back on this for whatever reason -- trimming readings so that the service doesn't go on too long, chanting scripture passages so that they become a part of a musical performance, or reading only the few verses the preacher intends to preach about -- misses the point. The reason we read scripture in worship isn't primarily to inform or remind the congregation about some biblical passage or theme they might have forgotten. Likewise, it's much more than a peg to hang a sermon on, though preaching from one or more of the readings is often a wise plan. Reading scripture in worship is, first and foremost, the central way of celebrating who God is and what he's done.'

N.T. Wright, Simply Christian, p. 150"

That is so right on. Even in a digital, multimedia, ADHD, sound-byte culture we need to read the Word publicly.

One of the wonderful things about the Anglican liturgy that I enjoyed whilst serving in the Episcopal church is the abundance of Scripture read to alluded to in every worship service — whether the daily office or a full blown Eucharist. Every Sunday we chanted a Psalm, read the OT & NT lesson and stood for the reading of the Gospel lesson. Fr. Turner used to have the book with the Gospel lesson on the high altar. He would journey up to get it and as he came down to read it in the midst of the people, two of the altar servers would flank him on either side with lit candles. The symbolism was rich.

One of the things that I appreciate about my current fantastic pastor is that he makes us stand "inreverencee for God's Word" and this in an extremely low church setting. The contrast in styles is striking and effective. I only wish we read more Scripture.

On the other hand ...
I find it amazing how much Scripture is read in the Episcopal liturgy yet how pervasively Biblically illiterate they are. Public reading does not always mean that it impacts one's thinking.

I also advocate for communicating in culture friendly ways. It would seem that just the plain reading of long passages ofScripturee might not seem to be the most user friendly strategy. Yet I still think it is a "must" for Christian worship.

I wonder what NT Wright might say about Scripture readings done on video. Does anyone have his email?

Comments on "Brad.Boydston.us: On reading scripture"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:26 PM, July 12, 2006) : 

Hey, just thought you might enjoy this link...

http://www.breakpoint.org/listingarticle.asp?ID=2588

Reasons 375-964 why I'm no longer there.

:)

 

post a comment