• The Met
  • The Art Renewal Center
  • William Bouguereau

  • My Favorite Art
  • Jeune Fille se Defendant Contre L'amour
    by William Bouguereau

  • Le_ravissement de Psyche
    by William Bouguereau

  • Flagellation de Notre Seigneur Jésus Christ
    by William Bouguereau
My Photo
Name:
Location: Liverpool, NY

"In my house, I'm a big deal. That's all that matters."

email

About The Ultra Rev

Facebook


Free Hit Counters

Powered by Blogger

Thursday, December 14, 2006

The New Yorker : The Good Book Business

The New Yorker is reporting that the Bible is the best selling book ... again.

I think this is a shame. Why does the Bible have to be the best selling book? I'm on a crusade to make it the most freely given away book. I've been on this kick for a while. There may ultimately be hell to pay for people who make a profit from the Word of God. I just wouldn't feel good about my prospects when I show up before God and say, "I made a ton of cash off of selling your Word."

International Bible Society Bible Distribution in the North Country
Interestingly enough, I was contacted this week by an International Bible Society rep who wants to work with the Watertown Daily Times and the churches on the north country on a special Bible distribution for our area.

Here's the program: The cost is $2 per NT. They create a special NT with pictures from the community and testimonies from local people. The community forms a leadership team to help with publicity and fundraising. The distribution is through the local newspaper. The WDT's subscriber base is about 28,000 but we could do a distribution to every home in the county which is something like 60,000. I recommend the latter. It takes about 6 months to create the special NT, about 6 months for fundraising and publicity and the distritribution could take place at Easter or Christmas in 2008.

Actually I recommend something even bigger. I think the IBS and the north country clergy should work together to get every city in upstate NY involved and do a distribution to everyone in upsate New York. Yes. I did say everyone in upstate NY. Let's think big and live dangerously for God. I know someone who could arrange the whole thing.

And I further recommend that every church in the community have a Beginner's Bible Study or something like an Alpha course beginning the weeks following the distribution. A web site should be created for the project and would list every church, links to their web site and information about how someone who just received one of these New Testaments could get in involved in a Bible study and church.

I have committed to help with this project.

Comments on "The New Yorker : The Good Book Business"

 

post a comment