• The Met
  • The Art Renewal Center
  • William Bouguereau

  • My Favorite Art
  • Jeune Fille se Defendant Contre L'amour
    by William Bouguereau

  • Le_ravissement de Psyche
    by William Bouguereau

  • Flagellation de Notre Seigneur Jésus Christ
    by William Bouguereau
My Photo
Name:
Location: Liverpool, NY

"In my house, I'm a big deal. That's all that matters."

email

About The Ultra Rev

Facebook


Free Hit Counters

Powered by Blogger

Friday, March 23, 2007

Small Dog

I've bought computer stuff through Small Dog over the years. Their customer service is the very best. I subscribe to one of their e-newsletters Kibbles & Bytes. Here's a snippet for why to buy a Mac:

Why Buy A Mac?
By Ed@Smalldog.com

Over the past couple of weeks, several people have asked me why they should buy a Mac when Macs seem more expensive than some advertised PCs. Well, here are my top five reasons why Macs easily justify their price:

1. Quality. Apple desktop and laptop computers are rated #1 by Consumer Reports for repair history, tech support, and consumer satisfaction. Apple leads all other reviewed computer manufactures, including Sony, Dell, and HP in all those categories. Any computer can have tech problems, but statistically Macs are much less likely to have them happen.

2. There are still no viruses for OS 10.4 in the wild, and there never have been. Of course, this could change, but Apple has proven it has built an extremely secure OS. Apple is committed to keeping the OS secure and up-to-date as well.

3. You can run multiple OS's on any Intel-based Mac. Mac OS X, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 2000, Linux, Unix etc. If you buy one Mac and install Windows, it's like owning two or more computers. Unix and X11 are already installed. Windows can be downloaded over the web. No PC can effectively run the Mac OS at all. For may people, especially web designers and scientists, this is a must-have feature.

4. Awesome multi-media architecture. Macs are ready to make high quality media projects out of the box with iLife and the extremely multimedia-friendly OS X. Macs are ready to run ultra high-end, cutting edge multimedia apps as well, such as Shake, Avid, etc.

5. High resale value. It's a pain if you want to buy a used Mac, but great if you are selling one. Macs retain the highest resale of any computer in the industry. This makes it somewhat easier to upgrade to a new Mac in the future. Macs retain high resale value because they tend to be extremely reliable.

Of course, I am very biased. But I love using my MacBook Pro for writing, designing, communicating, and yes, even for dreaming. OS X, even with it's limitations, is really the best operating system on the planet. I also love the features, power and design of Macintosh computers, especially now that we have the power and flexibility of the Intel processors.

I do wish every Mac came with more USB ports, though...

I've been a Mac user for 20 years and own 20+ Macs. One thing I wish they would fix is their ability to handle audio in web sites. My new and old Macs don't handle audio well. I've had trouble with ESPN, MLB.com and Jefferson County Scanner among others. If I go to those same sites with the crummy PC I have laying around it handles the audio just fine.

Comments on "Small Dog"

 

Blogger Brad Boydston said ... (7:27 AM, March 24, 2007) : 

That was my biggest surprise when I moved into the Mac zone -- at least with one of my computers -- the consistent audio compatibility problems -- the hoops you have to jump through to get certain types of audio files (originally designed to function on PCs) to run. I like the Mac. But these days it's half a dozen of one -- six of the other when it comes to operating systems.

 

Blogger theultrarev said ... (10:14 AM, March 24, 2007) : 

I bought an audio subscription to Major League Baseball GameDay audio so I could listen to any or all of the MLB games I wanted. A birthday present to myself. I can now get it to work but it took a call to MLB tech support and it's a hack -- it doesn't work smoothly and nicely like on the PC. I get the audio through WMP and don't get the nice interface to go with it. I'm really torqued about that.

I think it was you Brad that had alerted my attention to OpenOffice.org which led me to see all the other free open source software. I'm liking all that.
http://opensourcemac.org/

 

Blogger Rick said ... (9:45 PM, April 01, 2007) : 

OK, StevieBaby, I am thinking of getting a Mac Laptop for ElenaClaire before she goes to college - be that at NPU or at Concordia. So my Q is 1) would a refurbished from Small Dog be a good buy? and b) if she writes a file and puts it on a memory stick, will she be able to print it on your typical printer she might connect to - at say kinko's or something?

 

Blogger Rick said ... (12:45 PM, May 28, 2007) : 

Stevie Baby,

It's May 28 but I went back and found the right post so I wouldn't ask this question on a reply to an unrelated topic...

It looks like smalldog doesn't have any 15" powerbook G4s - only 17s. Got any other good sources?

Rick the Texan

 

Blogger theultrarev said ... (8:14 AM, May 29, 2007) : 

Dude, Why are you not getting an MacBook instead of a PowerBook?

I just went to the Apple.com store and they had a 15" PB there in their special deals section -- goto apple.com, click on the store tab, scroll down to the red tag in the right column.

But where else? Um .... A quick search of dealmac.com shows who has had deals on them recently. pbcentral.com lists some places that are selling but I've never bought from them. amazon.com shows some also.

 

post a comment