• The Met
  • The Art Renewal Center
  • William Bouguereau

  • My Favorite Art
  • Jeune Fille se Defendant Contre L'amour
    by William Bouguereau

  • Le_ravissement de Psyche
    by William Bouguereau

  • Flagellation de Notre Seigneur Jésus Christ
    by William Bouguereau
My Photo
Name:
Location: Liverpool, NY

"In my house, I'm a big deal. That's all that matters."

email

About The Ultra Rev

Facebook


Free Hit Counters

Powered by Blogger

Tuesday, June 26, 2007

ABC News: Jesus Takes Front-Row Seat at Graduation

Here is an ABC News: Jesus Takes Front-Row Seat at Graduation, about a girl who gave a speech at graduation that was more like an evangelistic sermon than a commencement address. I admire her courage and conviction. But I wonder ....

Do you know what a plus-minus ratio is in hockey? Wikipedia defines it like this:

Plus/minus is an ice hockey statistic that measures the team goal differential when a specific player is on the ice. Players' plus/minus stats get increased by one every time their team scores an even strength or shorthanded goal while they are on the ice. Whenever the team is scored against while at even strength or on a powerplay when the player is on the ice, his plus/minus is decreased by one. The statistic is sometimes called the plus/minus ratio even though it is a difference, not a ratio.

A player's plus/minus statistic can be calculated for a single game or for the season as a whole. For instance, if a player enters a game with a season total plus/minus of -8, then accumulates a statistic of +3 for a single game, the season total will change to a -5.

I think about the plus/minus of a Christian in regards to the number of people they influence to become a Christian or not. Take for example, Jerry Falwell. Here's a man with a bad +/- ratio. I'll bet more people were turned off to Christ and the Church because of the late Rev. Falwell than were turned toward Christ. He brought derision to the name of Christ. Shame on me for picking on a recently dead man.

I wonder about the long term plus/minus of a speech like this courageous teenager's. Overall, will more people be in the Kingdom, or will more people be moved closer to accepting Christ or not because of her preaching. Though I admire her courage and conviction I'm not sure this is the best way to do evangelism. I wonder.

Comments on "ABC News: Jesus Takes Front-Row Seat at Graduation"

 

post a comment