• The Met
  • The Art Renewal Center
  • William Bouguereau

  • My Favorite Art
  • Jeune Fille se Defendant Contre L'amour
    by William Bouguereau

  • Le_ravissement de Psyche
    by William Bouguereau

  • Flagellation de Notre Seigneur Jésus Christ
    by William Bouguereau
My Photo
Name:
Location: Liverpool, NY

"In my house, I'm a big deal. That's all that matters."

email

About The Ultra Rev

Facebook


Free Hit Counters

Powered by Blogger

Monday, December 03, 2007

Leadership Network - ADVANCE: Church Planting Study in US

CHURCH PLANTING
According to Leadership Network "Church planting in the United States appears to be undergoing an extreme makeover." Here's some fascinating stats from a newly published study about church planting:
  • 68% of church plants still exist after 4 years.
  • The typical church plant is under 100 in attendance after 4 years.
  • There are about 4000 church plants a year.
  • Average number of baptisms or conversions in a church plant is 10 the first year, 11 the second year, 13 the third year and 14 the fourth year.
Thank you to the Leadership Network for providing a host of free resources for those interested in church planting. You have to register at their site but they have podcasts, books and PDF's of information on funding, approaches and viability. In my warped thinking, those who provide resources and information like this for free are ones who are truly interested in advancing the kingdom.

I first saw this link over at Brad Boydston's blog, who has been advocating for church planting for a very long time. His church planting manual is still available for free and along with his whole list of resources. Thanks Brad.

If you are a regular reader of this blog, you know how passionate I am for church planting. I'm excited to be supporting Pastor Mike Mazzye and Catalyst Church that is starting in the eastern 'burbs of Syracuse. Currently we meet in St. David's Episcopal Church in DeWitt, NY. No doubt we'll outgrow that soon. Please pray for our church.

Different topic about church planting ...

CHURCH DNA
I am often part of discussions about "a church's DNA". What I mean by that are the spoken or unspoken core values that frame the life of a church right from it's inception. I've struggled with the thought of how does a church maintain it's missional focus and vitality after it grows. It's easy when the church is being planted and very young. Reaching out to the unchurched is vital: grow or die. But it seems that churches lose that focus as they age. How can we maintain it?

Here's my theory (which obviously could be a bunch of crap, but hey, it's my blog): New churches need to be planting new churches right from the start. Right from the first discussions. It almost seems disingenuous to be planting without plans to plant other churches.

Even more importantly, the plan to plant new churches needs to be in your first budget. Jesus said in Matthew chapter 6, "19 Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust [5] destroy and where thieves break in and steal, 20 but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."

Based on the principle Jesus lays out of where you invest your financial resources so also are you investing your emotional resources, I say, that if it's not in your budget it's not part of your church DNA. It's not in your church's heart even if you say it is. Fortunately, for Covenant church plants it's built right into the beginning budget.

What do you think?

Comments on "Leadership Network - ADVANCE: Church Planting Study in US"

 

Blogger Brad Boydston said ... (6:10 AM, December 04, 2007) : 

Thanks for the link. Most of the stuff I compiled was done in the early 90's when there weren't as many resources available. It was last revised in 2001, so it's not the latest info out there.

When I first became interested in church planting in the early 80's it wasn't much of a movement -- to the contrary. Other than the Southern Baptists there wasn't much happening and often the people involved in starting new churches were the wrong people. We were all pretty clueless about what we were doing.

Things have changed and we're now really blessed with so many resources out there -- many more up-to-date and thought out than mine. We're still learning. :-)

 

Blogger theultrarev said ... (9:21 AM, December 04, 2007) : 

Yeah, but YOU were the trend setter. You were cutting edge for the time. And you weren't charging everybody $50 for your manual, and starting a church planters conference for
$150 and offering your church planters sermon series for $20 and your church planting leadership seminar for $75, yada yada yada ...

I don't know which I'm more tired of: church leaders making a serious profit off Kingdom advancement or me not being able (or not wanting t0) to afford a lot of the resources out there.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:38 PM, December 04, 2007) : 

UltraRev:

How old does a church plant have to be before it is written off as "no longer a plant" and thus automatically no longer exciting, no longer productive, no longer worthy of attention?

I appreciate the vitality and effectiveness of church plants. I long to be involved in one. But I'm not... and it seems to me (from that limited perspective) that renewing an existing church and congregation is much harder work than planting. I wish churches could re-seed, die, and be reborn quickly, but that doesn't seem to be the case at all. They certainly aren't annuals. Maybe nore like century plants...

OK, I'm frustrated. Church planting gets all the glory. Long obedience in the same direction, and renewal of the vast potential of existing congregations, seems to get the fuzzy end of the stick...

Luke

 

Blogger theultrarev said ... (2:44 PM, December 04, 2007) : 

Luke,

You wrote: "renewing an existing church and congregation is much harder work than planting." You absolutely 100% correct. Most of the church health and leadership guru's, especially in the Covenant, also agree with you -- believe it or not. Lyle Schaller has agrees too.

I have to admit that I've lost a lot of hope for church renewal though I honestly long to see it happen. Even recently I've seen a couple of my favorite churches, ones that were once vital, go into serious decline. It's painful to watch. On the one hand I want to help and on the other I just don't have the patience for the BS.

I wish I saw more "long obedience in the same direction". Too often it's "long disobedience in the wrong direction". Lord have mercy on us all, especially me.

 

Blogger Luke said ... (7:34 AM, December 05, 2007) : 

...and especially me!

 

post a comment