• The Met
  • The Art Renewal Center
  • William Bouguereau

  • My Favorite Art
  • Jeune Fille se Defendant Contre L'amour
    by William Bouguereau

  • Le_ravissement de Psyche
    by William Bouguereau

  • Flagellation de Notre Seigneur Jésus Christ
    by William Bouguereau
My Photo
Name:
Location: Liverpool, NY

"In my house, I'm a big deal. That's all that matters."

email

About The Ultra Rev

Facebook


Free Hit Counters

Powered by Blogger

Saturday, January 12, 2008

Is American Christianity Turning Charismatic? | Church Executive.com

Apparently Charismatic and Pentecostal Christianity is not just growing world wide but in the US also. Often it is viewed as a primarily third world phenomenon with a smaller number of adherents in the US. Not so. A couple of interesting stats ....
"Many people believe that charismatic Christianity is almost exclusively a Protestant phenomenon. However, the research showed that one-third of all U.S. Catholics (36%) fit the charismatic classification. Framed differently, almost one-quarter of all charismatics in the U.S. (22%) are Catholic."

"The growth of Pentecostalism, however, has crossed denominational boundaries in recent years. For instance, 7% of Southern Baptist churches and 6% of mainline churches are charismatic, according to their Senior Pastors."
Charismatic churches tend to have larger budgets but pay their pastors less. Their clergy also tend not to be seminary graduates.

I think I'm pretty much out of the closet on this one: I like charismatics and feel real at home with them. On a personal basis, I really enjoy being with Charismatic Catholics, though I won't be joining the Catholic church any time soon. I like how they live out their faith and I just like being with them.

My ideal church exists only in my mind but it's charismatic, and flexibly liturgical, and sacramental with contemporary worship, serves wine with the Eucharist, is Benedictine/monastic flavored with a spice of Anglicanism and John Wesley. It's extremely light on Augustine, Baptists and John Calvin.

Comments on "Is American Christianity Turning Charismatic? | Church Executive.com"

 

Blogger Beth B said ... (11:17 AM, January 13, 2008) : 

Where is this church? I'll join with you!

 

Blogger theultrarev said ... (1:15 PM, January 13, 2008) : 

See that's the problem. It's only in my mind at the moment. [heavy sigh] After we get Catalyst off the ground I'll have to plant that church.

 

Blogger Rick said ... (11:08 AM, January 14, 2008) : 

Something awfully close to it is in Kingwood Texas.

 

Blogger theultrarev said ... (1:00 PM, January 14, 2008) : 

I do travel quite a bit in the US but that would a killer commute to church on Sunday especially with a new born. 1602 miles to Kingwood.

Do tell us about this church. Details please.

 

post a comment