• The Met
  • The Art Renewal Center
  • William Bouguereau

  • My Favorite Art
  • Jeune Fille se Defendant Contre L'amour
    by William Bouguereau

  • Le_ravissement de Psyche
    by William Bouguereau

  • Flagellation de Notre Seigneur Jésus Christ
    by William Bouguereau
My Photo
Name:
Location: Liverpool, NY

"In my house, I'm a big deal. That's all that matters."

email

About The Ultra Rev

Facebook


Free Hit Counters

Powered by Blogger

Saturday, June 28, 2008

Who Speaks For You?

Recently James Dobson of Focus on the Family spoke critically of Barrak Obama's use of Scripture. Pastor Kirbyjon Caldwell has created a web site: James Dobson Doesn't Speak For Me defending Obama and attacking James Dobson.

I like James Dobson. He's a smart person and his ministry has spoken into my life on more than one occasion. I work with is daughter, Danae, on occasion and she is a delightful person. I like Focus on the Family's ministry. I admire their commitment to pastor's families and the multitude of resources they make available to everyday Christians. They'll help anybody who asks them.

But I tire sometimes of hearing Dr. Dobson's voice in the public discourse. Granted he is often being quoted by media who use sound bites and aren't accurately representing him. I've had that happen to me also. And furthermore, if he doesn't speak up, who will? But I think we've reached the point where many evangelical Christians are tired of hearing the latest difficult statement from Dr. Dobson and tired of feeling like the media looks to him to speak for them and they don't want him to.

All that led me to the question recently, "Who does speak for me?" Who do I trust to speak on behalf of evangelicals? Certainly not Dobson or Pat Robertson, Falwell never did, -- those guys are the common ones the media refers to as evangelical leaders. Joel Osteen is getting more press time these days but I'm not sure I trust him to speak for me, though I appreciate his humble, gentle spirit. Rick Warren? Possibly. Bill Hybels? Probably, but we're hearing less and less from him.

I guess that's why I have my own blog. So I can speak for myself.

Who speaks for you?

Comments on "Who Speaks For You?"

 

Blogger Brad Boydston said ... (7:35 PM, June 28, 2008) : 

I've been kind'a hoping you'd step up to the mic and speak for me. I'm not quite ready to sign a contract or anything -- let's just see how you do.

 

Blogger theultrarev said ... (2:33 PM, June 30, 2008) : 

There are probably lots of ways I could serve you. However, the last thing, .... the very last thing, ... you would want me to do is be a spokesman for you. But if you insist. I begin all my posts and press conferences with "On behalf of Brad and all other evangelicals, ..."

 

post a comment