• The Met
  • The Art Renewal Center
  • William Bouguereau

  • My Favorite Art
  • Jeune Fille se Defendant Contre L'amour
    by William Bouguereau

  • Le_ravissement de Psyche
    by William Bouguereau

  • Flagellation de Notre Seigneur Jésus Christ
    by William Bouguereau
My Photo
Name:
Location: Liverpool, NY

"In my house, I'm a big deal. That's all that matters."

email

About The Ultra Rev

Facebook


Free Hit Counters

Powered by Blogger

Thursday, July 03, 2008

Social Networking + Ministry

Jesus in MySpace: Churches use social-networking sites

Just a short article about how various ministries and ministers are using social networking, or web 2.0 apps in their ministry. It showed up in a Google news search I did for "Evangelical Covenant Church" as the article quotes Youth Pastor Tim Schmoyer from MN.

I've been doing a lot of this lately for the ministry I work for ... building a GodTube, YouTube, Facebook and MySpace pages. Working toward a Wikipedia entry, Amazon presence, web site blog, utilizing Twitter, possibly Flickr and a few others. I'm using these as "connection portals" for our ministry, attempting to network with as many people as possible who might be interested in festival evangelism.

But now I've learned of a few other resources I had not thought of and a couple I had not heard of. Yahoo! and Google groups are possibilities that I had not thought of. Evite, Friendster and MyChurch.org are some that I didn't know about.

Quote from article about MyChurch ...
"But one Christian site that is catching on through word of mouth is MyChurch.org -- a social-networking site built around congregations. It currently has about 21,000 churches on it from across the United States and Canada, and about 150,000 individual members. The congregations range from Baptist to non-denominational to Salvation Army.

“It is kind of a MySpace for churches,” said Jon Suh, one of the founders. The site was created about a year and half ago to fill a need that Suh’s congregation, The River Church in San Jose, Calif., felt."

Comments on "Social Networking + Ministry"

 

Blogger Luke said ... (12:33 PM, July 09, 2008) : 

UltraRev:

It's been a while, for a lot of reasons.

I noted you mentioned Google Groups in this post. I use Google Groups and like it a lot. We also use Google Documents a lot at our church. Agendas are posted, people are invited, and they can add or modify the agenda as they choose. The Worship Team uses them to provide a central place for people to enter information (tech team, music team, etc.). Our Treasurer has even put the church budget up as a Google spreadsheet, allowing team leaders to enter data for the 2009 budget in a single location, with the "roll up" being automatic. There are lots of uses for Google Documents...

 

Blogger theultrarev said ... (8:08 PM, July 09, 2008) : 

Luke - I have missed you. Have been wondering if you were driving through the NYS Thruway on your way up north to camp. Let's make sure you stop in for a pint this summer. Seriously. I'm less than 4 min off exit 38.

 

post a comment