• The Met
  • The Art Renewal Center
  • William Bouguereau

  • My Favorite Art
  • Jeune Fille se Defendant Contre L'amour
    by William Bouguereau

  • Le_ravissement de Psyche
    by William Bouguereau

  • Flagellation de Notre Seigneur Jésus Christ
    by William Bouguereau
My Photo
Name:
Location: Liverpool, NY

"In my house, I'm a big deal. That's all that matters."

email

About The Ultra Rev

Facebook


Free Hit Counters

Powered by Blogger

Thursday, July 03, 2008

Tyndale House, Barna and Viola Being Embarrassed

Brad Boydston has been posting links to comments by scholar Ben Witherington on his blog, who has been reviewing a new book by George Barna and Frank Viola (not the former Twins pitcher): Pagan Christianity. It seems that Barna and Viola want suggest that the current expression of church worship is heavily pagan and doesn't have it's basis in NT Christianity -- at least that is what I am getting from Witherington's reviews, as I have not read the book.

Witherington is a NT scholar at Asbury Seminary in Wilmore, KY (blogwebsiteWikipedia), and he is shredding Barna's & Viola's poor scholarship and outright failure to get facts right. Brad rightly asked, "At what point do the editors at Tyndale House Publishers need to be accountable for letting so much historical inaccuracy slip through in Pagan Christianity? without a fact check?" Indeed. They and the authors should be outright embarrassed by now.

Comments on "Tyndale House, Barna and Viola Being Embarrassed"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:27 AM, July 04, 2008) : 

I doubt that. I read the book twice and then read Witherington’s review, and it strengthened the case for the book to me. There’s already another scholar who’s starting to expose all the holes in Witherington’s review. It’s on a few blogs but the entire series is being posted here http://www.paganchristianity.org/zensresponds1.htm
I bet the publisher and authors are quite happy with all the press the book is getting because of witherington’s review.
Tom

 

Blogger Bradley said ... (7:01 AM, July 05, 2008) : 

I agree Tom. Witherington's review was pretty unconvincing. It only strengthened my faith in the book's message. Zens did a great job revealing the leaks in it.

 

post a comment