• The Met
  • The Art Renewal Center
  • William Bouguereau

  • My Favorite Art
  • Jeune Fille se Defendant Contre L'amour
    by William Bouguereau

  • Le_ravissement de Psyche
    by William Bouguereau

  • Flagellation de Notre Seigneur Jésus Christ
    by William Bouguereau
My Photo
Name:
Location: Liverpool, NY

"In my house, I'm a big deal. That's all that matters."

email

About The Ultra Rev

Facebook


Free Hit Counters

Powered by Blogger

Monday, November 24, 2008

Tony Jones

Emergent church leader says 'gay' can be biblical lifestyle

Emergent church leader Tony Jones apparently has come to the position that the homosexual lifestyle can be biblical.

Despite recounting his earlier days of arguing that "biblical prohibitions to homosexual sex should be taken seriously," Jones admits his experiences and feelings led him toward a different conclusion.

"And yet," Jones writes, "all the time I could feel myself drifting toward acceptance that gay persons are fully human persons and should be afforded all of the cultural and ecclesial benefits that I am."

Well that's one way to do ethics. Not really the best though.

Comments on "Tony Jones"

 

Blogger SJ Austin said ... (3:44 PM, November 24, 2008) : 

To be fair to Tony Jones, the context of that blog post is that it is an "opening statement" of a dialogue that will go on in the coming weeks with another blogger who will take the conservative position. I've heard Tony Jones speak and read some of his work, and I'm confident he has a lot more in store than just his drifting feelings. I think it was unwise of him to open the discussion with that statement, because his critics are going to eat him for lunch before he even gets to his next post.

Oops, now that I look back to the original post, I see the conversation is already well underway. Looks like I have some catching up to do. If anyone else is interested in the full discussion, here's a link: http://blog.beliefnet.com/tonyjones/same-sex-marriage-blogalogue

Thanks for the link, Steve. All church leaders must be aware that this issue is here to stay, and that we must deal with it carefully, respectfully, and deliberately.

 

post a comment