• The Met
  • The Art Renewal Center
  • William Bouguereau

  • My Favorite Art
  • Jeune Fille se Defendant Contre L'amour
    by William Bouguereau

  • Le_ravissement de Psyche
    by William Bouguereau

  • Flagellation de Notre Seigneur Jésus Christ
    by William Bouguereau
My Photo
Name:
Location: Liverpool, NY

"In my house, I'm a big deal. That's all that matters."

email

About The Ultra Rev

Facebook


Free Hit Counters

Powered by Blogger

Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Church Getting the Boot Over Sex?

UPDATE: 5/5/09
Church that sent sex flier will stay in school | floridatoday.com | FLORIDA TODAY
New Hope Church can continue to meet in Sherwood Elementary though school officials asked that future advertisements be appropriate for children ages 5-12. That seems reasonable.


Original Post: 5/2/09

Church giving sermons about sex faces controversy - FOX 4 Now - WFTX

New Hope Church of Melbourne, FL meets in Sherwood Elementary School. Apparently their mailer about a recent sermon series on sex has offended residents, who don't think a church that meets in an elementary school should be advertising about sex. The school district is reviewing the church's contract.

What happens when the church does a sermon series on hell? Will that threaten their contract too? Can churches only rent from schools if the schools approve their messages first? This doesn't appear to be well thought out.

Extra Rant
Anyone who lurks in the Land of the Ultra Rev knows that I think it is very important for churches to address matters of sexuality, especially from the pulpit. In fact, I think it unconscionable not to do so. I think that churches that do these sermon series are doing a good thing and even using sexuality as part of their promotion is a good thing. It is a topic that people desperately want to here what the Bible has to say about it. That said ...

I'm not sure I like the idea of marketing the sermon series from the vantage point of: Come to church to hear how to have a better sex life. (I'm mulling this over in my brain as I type and may end up changing my mind by the end of the post.) I'm just not sure the church is in the sex life improvement business.

On the other hand, I do think we are to be in the marriage improvement business. The Bible says clearly, "Marriage should be honored by all." If we improve marriages by improving their sex life -- well .... -- God be praised? (said with eyebrows raised and a slight tone of incredulousness)

I do think we are in the business of proclaiming who God is and His mighty deeds: He is the author of sexuality who blesses it in marriage and gives it as a generous, loving gift to His people. The God of the Bible is author of love and lovemaking. We as His people ought to be experts at both. Let's preach about that and about the God who is the healer of sexual blunders and restores the brokenhearted.

Sure, following God's plans for your sex life is better than not. Sure, social scientists have noted that religious people are more satisfied in their sex life. But I'm just not sure that's what we market for a sermon series: Come to church for "Great sex for you."??? I dunno. Do you feel me?

Comments on "Church Getting the Boot Over Sex?"

 

post a comment