• The Met
  • The Art Renewal Center
  • William Bouguereau

  • My Favorite Art
  • Jeune Fille se Defendant Contre L'amour
    by William Bouguereau

  • Le_ravissement de Psyche
    by William Bouguereau

  • Flagellation de Notre Seigneur Jésus Christ
    by William Bouguereau
My Photo
Name:
Location: Liverpool, NY

"In my house, I'm a big deal. That's all that matters."

email

About The Ultra Rev

Facebook


Free Hit Counters

Powered by Blogger

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

A Prayer from The Private Devotions of Bishop Lancelot Andrewes

I saw this at my wise and beloved friend, Rick Lindholtz', Facebook page. He is working on a project to paraphrasing The Private Devotions of Bishop Lancelot Andrewes, who was a contemporary of William Shakespeare and who headed one of the translation teams for the King James Version.

Remember that I am called by Your name,

and look on me with your eyes of compassion,
eyes that looked on Mary Magdalene at the feast,
on Peter in the hall of denial,
on the thief upon the wood.
With the thief , let me cry out to you in humility,
“Remember me, Lord, in Your Kingdom”.
With Peter, let me weep bitterly and say
“O the my eyes were a fountain of tears,
That I might weep day and night”.
With Mary, let me hear You say
“Your sins are forgiven”,
and with her, may I love you deeply,
because many sins have been forgiven me.


paraphrase ©2009 Rick Lindholtz

Comments on "A Prayer from The Private Devotions of Bishop Lancelot Andrewes"

 

post a comment