|In my teen years my parents moved from Utica to a new tract development in the Town of Clay with a Liverpool mailing address. After living here for awhile I always thought it would be great to live in the Village of Liverpool. It just looked so quaint and homey. Through the years I lived away for grad school and work but always hoped that one day I would move back and maybe live in the Village. Now I do. Here are my top reasons I love Liverpool: |
- First and foremost, Liverpool has an incredible selection of really great restaurants in the Village or within 5 minutes! Indian, Right in the Village are Limp Lizard -- an outstanding BBQ with a great beer selection and outdoor patio; Heid's -- the historic hot dog stand; The Retreat -- really good American style food with a great summer patio; OIP -- their pizza is great but the charbroiled wings are the best around and they have tomato pie; The Cobblestone -- just your traditional old fashioned, haunted bar; The Fish Company -- fresh seafood that is really outstanding; Cafe at 407 -- a very simple terrific cafe that supports an important community NPO; and the American Diner -- just your regular, cheap breakfast diner that loves America. And within seconds of the Village are Santangelo's -- one of the very finest Italian ristorantes in CNY; several Indian and Thai restaurants; and though it isn't a restaurant: the Byrne Dairy in the spot where Galeville grocery used to be still has a tremendous beer selection.
- Onondaga Lake Park. The Park just keeps getting better and better with Wegman's playground, bikes to rent; softball diamonds; Lights on the Lake, and a paved walking/skating/biking path that now goes all the way to the other side where the new amphitheater is located as well as to Longbranch Park and the Wegmans Dog Park. It's just a great place to exercise and hangout. Though the lake is still polluted (much less so than ever), it is still stunningly beautiful.
- Liverpool Little League. A classy organization which just merged with the Salt City Little League to become a little stronger.
- Nichols Grocery & Liquors. The entire Nichols store would probably fit into Wegmans produce and bakery sections. But it's quick, friendly, nostalgic and has it's unique stock of groceries with great meat and deli. I love it for the off brands of beer they sell and the manager's specials.
- When you live in the Village, it is quick and easy to get anywhere -- except Cicero. You can be to the hospitals, the Dome and OnCenter in 10 minutes flat. Get on I81 or the Thruway in minutes. Even Camillus is closer than you think when you shoot out Rt. 370 to John Glenn Blvd. to 690.
- Recreation and Entertainment. I mentioned Onondaga Lake Park. But also within minutes are 2 bowling alleys, Liverpool Country Club, the volleyball courts at Sharkey's bar, softball and baseball fields in several places. etc.
- It's beautiful and well kept. Just drive through on a sunny day. The old historic homes and buildings with tree lined streets, a central Village park and glimpses of the lake make every drives gorgeous.
- Free concerts and movies in the park during the summer.
- Liverpool Library is the best branch of all the Onondaga County Public Libraries.