• The Met
  • The Art Renewal Center
  • William Bouguereau

  • My Favorite Art
  • Jeune Fille se Defendant Contre L'amour
    by William Bouguereau

  • Le_ravissement de Psyche
    by William Bouguereau

  • Flagellation de Notre Seigneur Jésus Christ
    by William Bouguereau
My Photo
Name:
Location: Liverpool, NY

"In my house, I'm a big deal. That's all that matters."

email

About The Ultra Rev

Facebook


Free Hit Counters

Powered by Blogger

Sunday, September 12, 2004

Sex and the Youth Group

Well, I gave my first of three sermons on sexuality tonight. It went very well. It's always amazing who shows up on a particular Sunday. Had six teens there tonight. For youth group following the service, we had 12 teens. I gave them each a card to submit questions for me to answer in next week's sermon or youth group. Here they are ...

"What happens to a man and women if caught doing something naughty before marriage?"
"Why is it wrong to have sex before marriage? Why is lust wrong?"
"It it wrong to think someone is attractive? What's the difference between that and lust?"
"Is masturbation wrong?"
"What do you do if you already lost your virginity?"
"Is sex before marriage a sin?"
"Is having sex with someone before marriage a sin?"


Some of these answers are very obvious, such as "Is masturbation wrong?" The most appropriate answer is, "Only with sandpaper." Most of these question are very straightforward. Notice the one kid asks "Why?". I would love to hear your answers or the best answers you have ever heard for these type questions.

I took a human sexuality class in college. My favorite proverb from that class was by Dr. Bassett: "Masturbation and orgasm go hand in hand." I still giggle when I hear it. I doubt I'll find a way to build that into next week's sermon.

I told a joke tonight, that was told to me by a very proper woman in her late sixties in my last church. There once was an older couple, who were both widowed, and they decided to get married. They had their wedding as part of the morning service that day. After the vows were over, everyone clapped as they sat down. The pastor asked everyone to stand for the closing hymn which was, "Are Ye Able".

Absolutely no one laughed tonight when I first told it. They didn't get that I was telling a joke, which led me to have to explain that it was a joke, which actually made it a little funnier.

Next week's sermon will be aimed toward married people about Nike Sex: Just Do It!

Comments on "Sex and the Youth Group"

 

Blogger Luke said ... (9:47 AM, September 14, 2004) : 

I'm sure you're already using the source I think of - Dallas Willard, in The Divine Conspiracy. His differentiation between atraction and lust is as well put as I can imagine, and has changed my thoughts - and actions. As has his treatment of anger, and of... oh, well, you get the idea.

The one thing he doesn't discuss in much detail, as I remember it, is the idea that most people find it difficult to lust after someone, and also look at them as a brother or sister in Christ, valued and loved by our Lord - or someone Jesus WANTS to be our brother or sister in Christ. If you value them for their physical appearance, that diminishes what is of real value. It is that reduction of the value of a human being, and how that informs our development, that is a major problem...

 

post a comment