• The Met
  • The Art Renewal Center
  • William Bouguereau

  • My Favorite Art
  • Jeune Fille se Defendant Contre L'amour
    by William Bouguereau

  • Le_ravissement de Psyche
    by William Bouguereau

  • Flagellation de Notre Seigneur Jésus Christ
    by William Bouguereau
My Photo
Name:
Location: Liverpool, NY

"In my house, I'm a big deal. That's all that matters."

email

About The Ultra Rev

Facebook


Free Hit Counters

Powered by Blogger

Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Robin Hood is Dead.

I read to my children as many nights as I am able. Recently my seven year old son, Carter, and I have read the abridged editions of Huckleberry Finn, King Arthur and tonight, we finished Robin Hood. What a marvelous story of adventure, merrymaking and plenty of good Christian men enjoying ale at the Blue Boar Inn.

I recognize this is fiction and/or legend, and the characters are not necessarily real. But nonetheless, the author created them to think of themselves as good Christians. But what are the primary things these good Christian men do? The steal from the wealthy, albeit with their own sense of ethics -- value driven thievery, if you will. They fight and wrestle, play tricks and games and go out for adventures. They flirt with women and enjoy a lot of ale. These guys really know how to have a good time. I wonder if their life would have been considered mythical or an ideal, or were there others like them. I wonder how the Christian community of it's time period would have received these stories.

Robin Hood died in the last chapter tonight. Carter wept like he lost his best friend. Tomorrow we begin Tom Sawyer.

Comments on "Robin Hood is Dead."

 

post a comment