• The Met
  • The Art Renewal Center
  • William Bouguereau

  • My Favorite Art
  • Jeune Fille se Defendant Contre L'amour
    by William Bouguereau

  • Le_ravissement de Psyche
    by William Bouguereau

  • Flagellation de Notre Seigneur Jésus Christ
    by William Bouguereau
My Photo
Name:
Location: Liverpool, NY

"In my house, I'm a big deal. That's all that matters."

email

About The Ultra Rev

Facebook


Free Hit Counters

Powered by Blogger

Friday, November 10, 2006

PastorCare -- The National Clergy Support Network

On a listserv I'm subscribed to, a poster asked why didn't Ted Haggard avail himself to the help he needed. There are a growing number of ministries dedicated to supporting and encouraging pastors. Saw another one this week ...

PastorCare -- The National Clergy Support Network
PastorCare Great Lakes

Someone recently quoted to me the stat of 1700 pastors a month are forced/resigned from ministry. I remember HB London from Focus on the Family saying that 50% of clergy leave pastoral ministry within 5 years of being ordained. I held out for 9.

I miss it some. Over the past several months I've done a couple weddings, a funeral and preached a couple times. Those really are great privileges. Preaching has always been good for my spiritual life. I miss planning new ministry initiatives. I miss having a continuing education budget and staying on the cutting edge of ministry and culture trends, and the fellowship with pastors at those kind of events. I miss the people contact, especially personal evangelism.

Being out of full time pastoral ministry has changed me in a lot of good ways. Depression is substantially much less an issue in my life anymore. I believe God for more and have a bigger vision for the local church. I've learned a lot about leadership. It's been good to work with people who believe in me and who are all rowing in the same direction. I sleep better on Saturday nights and enjoy football more on Sunday afternoons.

I certainly don't miss congregational meetings. I'm sure they don't miss me either.

Maybe again some day ...

Comments on "PastorCare -- The National Clergy Support Network"

 

post a comment