• The Met
  • The Art Renewal Center
  • William Bouguereau

  • My Favorite Art
  • Jeune Fille se Defendant Contre L'amour
    by William Bouguereau

  • Le_ravissement de Psyche
    by William Bouguereau

  • Flagellation de Notre Seigneur Jésus Christ
    by William Bouguereau
My Photo
Name:
Location: Liverpool, NY

"In my house, I'm a big deal. That's all that matters."

email

About The Ultra Rev

Facebook


Free Hit Counters

Powered by Blogger

Friday, April 13, 2007

Christ Church NYC:: Welcome

I have friend who visited Christ Church NYC recently and said it was a moving experience. It is a church plant being supported by Redeemer Presbyterian Church (New York, NY) which is led by Pastor Tim Keller.

Here is how they describe themselves on their web site:
Christ Church New York City is an independent church in the orthodox anglican tradition. We share the vision of transforming the city by establishing new churches. The message of Christ Church is not first and foremost about morality but transformation – a whole new way of life, with a new focus of worship. It is about people being individually renewed by God, forming new communities (churches), and providing comfort and care for people in need in the wider community.
It's a little bit of an oxymoronic description: "an independent church in the orthodox Anglican tradition." I'm not sure you can really be in the Anglican tradition and be independent. One of the defining characteristics of Anglicanism certainly is it's episcopal polity. I would guess an independent church would not have a bishop though I could be wrong.

What they probably mean is that their worship practice is Anglican in style and their theology would be similar to other confessing Anglicans. Their self description of independent and Anglican struck me as funny but I'm not trying to be disparaging.

I really believe that more churches like this need to be planted in the northeast, especially in areas where there is a significant population of dechurched Roman Catholics. Many of them are familiar with the liturgy but have been wounded by the church and aren't coming back. Further they are hungry for truth. An orthodox Anglican or Anglo-Catholic church just might work for them.

Comments on "Christ Church NYC:: Welcome"

 

Blogger Brad Boydston said ... (7:05 AM, April 24, 2007) : 

I syspect that this is the John Mason who put together a wonderful liturgy resource that has been used by Aussie Anglicans -- A Service for Today's Church -- http://www.acl.asn.au/ASTC.html. I had a link to it on my website.

 

post a comment