• The Met
  • The Art Renewal Center
  • William Bouguereau

  • My Favorite Art
  • Jeune Fille se Defendant Contre L'amour
    by William Bouguereau

  • Le_ravissement de Psyche
    by William Bouguereau

  • Flagellation de Notre Seigneur Jésus Christ
    by William Bouguereau
My Photo
Name:
Location: Liverpool, NY

"In my house, I'm a big deal. That's all that matters."

email

About The Ultra Rev

Facebook


Free Hit Counters

Powered by Blogger

Wednesday, May 02, 2007

SBC Tomorrow: Sticks Stones: Baptists Calling Other Baptists Names

My esteemed friend Peter Lumpkins recently blogged about Baptist in-fighting: Sticks & Stones: Baptists Calling Other Baptists Names. Peter wrote, "It's interesting to me how we Baptists can talk about taking the Bible literally but brush it aside so easily in our moments of outrage."

I wish it were just Baptists Peter but it's not. It's Anglicans & Episcopalians, Lutherans, Catholics and Methodists -- even the name Methodist was once a derogatory slur. I think in general Christians need to learn to fight better. We appear to be such idiots when we stoop to name calling.

I'm guilty too. I've mentioned plenty of times about my "Baptist allergy". Even in my last post I called Episcopal leaders "knuckleheads" -- as Peter noted, "All said in Christian love, of course." Shame on me. Lord have mercy.

Comments on "SBC Tomorrow: Sticks Stones: Baptists Calling Other Baptists Names"

 

Blogger peter lumpkins said ... (9:16 PM, May 02, 2007) : 

Hey, StevenE,

Trust all is well. I agree that Baptists are not the only guilty goobers when it comes to in-fighting. I was talking recently with someone and mentioned the fact that, given Baptist die-hard dedication to both the priesthood of the believer and the autonomy of the local church, it is little wonder we fuss so much.

And the reality is, we should be more splintered than we actually are.

Take care and Peace, bro. With that, I am...

Peter

 

post a comment