• The Met
  • The Art Renewal Center
  • William Bouguereau

  • My Favorite Art
  • Jeune Fille se Defendant Contre L'amour
    by William Bouguereau

  • Le_ravissement de Psyche
    by William Bouguereau

  • Flagellation de Notre Seigneur Jésus Christ
    by William Bouguereau
My Photo
Name:
Location: Liverpool, NY

"In my house, I'm a big deal. That's all that matters."

email

About The Ultra Rev

Facebook


Free Hit Counters

Powered by Blogger

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

My Library Dilemmas

My wonderful wife bought me some great looking bookcases for the "ManCave" a.k.a. my home office. Finally, after being in storage since the fall of 2005, my theological library comes out boxes. Now I'm filled with decisions and dilemmas about which books to keep.

I've got a stuff by the renown Roman Catholic scholars Joseph Fitzmyer, Raymond Brown and Roland Murphy. Then there's a handful of primary source collections on early church liturgies, creeds, councils, etc. along with a variety of commentaries, historical books and other scholarly pieces. Most of it is dated. It used to be that there would be scholarly 'cornerstones' that you saw in every pastor and scholars library. Not so much any more. I wondering if I'm going to keep any of it.

I've got commentaries on CD now and there is a wealth of stuff available on the internet. And right now, I'm not in pastoral ministry and not needing much of it. But the question remains, if I don't want it where can I get rid of it? I don't want to just throw it out.

With the advent of the internet and digital resources, do pastors even keep or use theological libraries anymore?

I just keep imagining Neicy Nash from the TV show Clean House showing up and seeing my 20+ computers and stacks of old books crammed in this 10'x10' office saying, "What is this foolishness!?!?!?! What is wrong with you?!?!?"

Comments on "My Library Dilemmas"

 

Blogger Luke said ... (6:39 AM, March 12, 2008) : 

UltraRev:

I have the entire New Interpreters Bible on DVD - and what do I go back to most often? The Bible Speaks Today, in print form...

I know there is a lot of stuff on the internet, but there is a lot of stuff on the internet, too. By which I mean, sourcing stuff can be an issue. And I'd bet that some of those old tomes on creeds, liturgies, councils, RC scholars, etc - which would be of great interest to me - aren't available in digital form.

Before you start casting stuff aside willy nilly, make sure it is available in digital form, and you have access to it. Or it is in a local library. Or that you're pretty sure you won't need ever again... and if you're sure, start stacking up a pile I can come get from you!

 

Blogger Beth B said ... (12:22 PM, March 12, 2008) : 

Hmm, did you run the contents of your collection past Brad? I wonder if there's a need at the PIBC library.

 

post a comment