• The Met
  • The Art Renewal Center
  • William Bouguereau

  • My Favorite Art
  • Jeune Fille se Defendant Contre L'amour
    by William Bouguereau

  • Le_ravissement de Psyche
    by William Bouguereau

  • Flagellation de Notre Seigneur Jésus Christ
    by William Bouguereau
My Photo
Name:
Location: Liverpool, NY

"In my house, I'm a big deal. That's all that matters."

email

About The Ultra Rev

Facebook


Free Hit Counters

Powered by Blogger

Friday, May 16, 2008

Lectio Divina

I'm going to do a little Lectio Divina with some junior high students on retreat at Mission Meadows this weekend. I like Lectio because it puts the emphasis of God speaking instead of me speaking. Below I've pasted the brief outline that I'll use for a group Lectio exercise.

Listening for the Gentle Touch of Christ the Word
  • One person reads aloud (twice) the passage of scripture, as others are attentive to some segment that is especially meaningful to them.
  • Silence for 1-2 minutes. Each hears and silently repeats a word or phrase that attracts. Underline or circle that word or phrase.
  • Sharing aloud: [A word or phrase that has attracted each person]. A simple statement of one or a few words. No elaboration.

How Christ the Word speaks to ME
  • Second reading of same passage by another person.
  • Silence for 2-3 minutes. Reflect on “Where does the content of this reading touch my life today?” “How does this word relate to me?”
  • Sharing aloud: Briefly: “I hear, I see...”

What Christ the Word Invites me to DO
  • Third reading by still another person.
  • Silence for 2-3 minutes. Journal a prayer to God.
  • Reflect on “I believe that God wants me to . . . . . . today/this week.”
  • Sharing aloud: at somewhat greater length the results of each one’s reflection. [Be especially aware of what is shared by the person to your right.]
  • After full sharing, pray for the person to your right.
  • Note: Anyone may “pass” at any time. If instead of sharing with the group you prefer to pray silently, simply state this aloud and conclude your silent prayer with “Amen”.
Several minutes of silence to rest in the Lord's presence.

Here's a Lectio Divina resource: Accepting The Embrace of God: The Ancient Art of Lectio Divina

Comments on "Lectio Divina"

 

post a comment