• The Met
  • The Art Renewal Center
  • William Bouguereau

  • My Favorite Art
  • Jeune Fille se Defendant Contre L'amour
    by William Bouguereau

  • Le_ravissement de Psyche
    by William Bouguereau

  • Flagellation de Notre Seigneur Jésus Christ
    by William Bouguereau
My Photo
Name:
Location: Liverpool, NY

"In my house, I'm a big deal. That's all that matters."

email

About The Ultra Rev

Facebook


Free Hit Counters

Powered by Blogger

Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Questions ....

My beloved friend Luke posted some questions on my blog recently that I want to re-post as a blog entry.
"I had a friend in a small group ask me a highly related question - noting how we now feel about such things as Christians supporting slavery and joining the KKK, as well as a lot of other mistakes, going back to the Inquisition, the Crusades, etc.

His question was, "What are future Christians going to look back at us and not be able to understand how we could believe or support?"

What do you think we do or accept or believe, that future generations of Christians will really scratch their heads over?"
That's a tough one.

Comments on "Questions ...."

 

Blogger Luke said ... (3:02 PM, July 10, 2008) : 

Ooookaaaaay... I'll take a stab at answering my own question.

I think future generations of Christians are going to wonder how Christians of this day and age could possibly have not seen our calling as stewards of God's gifts - specifically, the environment.

 

Blogger theultrarev said ... (10:21 AM, July 11, 2008) : 

My initial reaction was to think they would marvel at particularly western Christians enormous wealth that we spent primarily on ourselves and did so little good with it.

 

Blogger Corey said ... (12:46 PM, July 11, 2008) : 

I would have to agree with ultrarev (and Bono) that it will be the complete ignorance of and apathy towards our brothers and sisters in Africa. And Western Xty's myopic view of sin as primarily an individual moral one...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:38 PM, July 11, 2008) : 

Ditto with the above.
The very question sits within the myopic view of Western Christianity. It would be interesting to hear what Christians in Africa and the developing world are amazed at within their own church context. In our western myopia do we assume that we in the west are the only ones who have tolerated nonsense and blessed it as Christian behavior? The last I checked the condition of depravity was a multicultural, equal opportunist.

PHDEDS

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:31 AM, July 14, 2008) : 

Homosexuality. The Church has done a fine job condemning and oppressing gays...of course through grace. The more States legalize homosexual unions, the more likely the church will become accepting or desensitized (your preference) to their marriage. Many mainlines have already become desensitized to abortion; all the while upholding the "Sanctity of human life." ~Giacomo

 

Blogger Luke said ... (1:23 PM, July 14, 2008) : 

UltraRev:

I agree with your comment. I guess I was thinking about how the consumeristic society sustains a high quality of life and enormous wealth by using and hoarding an inordinate amount of resources for current generations without regard to the impact on the environment or quality of life for future generations and other geographies. That is myopic.

 

post a comment