• The Met
  • The Art Renewal Center
  • William Bouguereau

  • My Favorite Art
  • Jeune Fille se Defendant Contre L'amour
    by William Bouguereau

  • Le_ravissement de Psyche
    by William Bouguereau

  • Flagellation de Notre Seigneur Jésus Christ
    by William Bouguereau
My Photo
Name:
Location: Liverpool, NY

"In my house, I'm a big deal. That's all that matters."

email

About The Ultra Rev

Facebook


Free Hit Counters

Powered by Blogger

Thursday, May 20, 2010

Spiritual Lessons From Unemployment - Part 7: Joseph, Welfare & God's Provision

I've been reflecting on the possibility that God can use a secular government program to provide for His people.  For a long time during this season of under employment I just couldn't accept that this might possibly be right or be God's will or God's best for us. Certainly God would not provide for us through the government or through not working. I was supposed to provide. Right?

And then my wife wondered out loud about the story of Joseph. Through all his tribulations and being put in jail, then he worked his way up the food chain in the Egyptian leadership chain, and essentially ran a government funded welfare program that ended up feeding God's people. Joseph foresaw the famine coming and stored up grain for the years the Egyptian people would be in need.  The Hebrew people -- Joseph's family -- eventually came to the Egyptians for help, and Joseph, one of their own, was there to be generous to them.  Everyone believed it was God's provision and plan. Even Joseph said, "You meant it for harm but God used it for good."  Everyone believe it was God's provision, but in truth, God's provision came from the hand of an evil empire that participated in human trafficking, slavery, degradation, idol worship, etc.  It was welfare.

Though I am not comfortable with it, I have learned to receive welfare with thanksgiving to God. Hmmmm. Even as I type this I'm still not sure. What say you?

Comments on "Spiritual Lessons From Unemployment - Part 7: Joseph, Welfare & God's Provision"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:18 PM, May 21, 2010) : 

God does work in ways we don't understand or sometimes like, I still don't get/care for what he's done for me all the time. All I think of is that he has something planned and it't better than my ideas. Glad you have come to terms that it's God's provision, praying!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:24 PM, May 21, 2010) : 

Mmmmmm, thought about it some more, God uses sinners to accomplish his work, he uses anyone, even sinners,(like me). So the best thing you can do is see it as God's work, even through unsavory means.

 

Blogger theultrarev said ... (10:20 PM, May 22, 2010) : 

Thank you for your comments.

 

Blogger Johnnnie said ... (9:22 AM, July 15, 2010) : 

Wanted to put ion my two cents, in the bible God punished his people by sending the Babylonians, and the prophet at the time cried about him using the sinful people, and God said that the Babylonians would be punished for their deeds too, so if he uses someone's sinful means they do get the repercussion, but my main point was that he uses the unsavory, (to us), means to work for good in everyone's lives, even if It means people who aren't who we'd appreciate.

 

post a comment