• The Met
  • The Art Renewal Center
  • William Bouguereau

  • My Favorite Art
  • Jeune Fille se Defendant Contre L'amour
    by William Bouguereau

  • Le_ravissement de Psyche
    by William Bouguereau

  • Flagellation de Notre Seigneur Jésus Christ
    by William Bouguereau
My Photo
Name:
Location: Liverpool, NY

"In my house, I'm a big deal. That's all that matters."

email

About The Ultra Rev

Facebook


Free Hit Counters

Powered by Blogger

Monday, June 28, 2004

Yesterday's Sermon

For whatever reason, I broke all my preaching norms yesterday. I used the Lectionary gospel lesson (Luke 9:51-62) and had 3 points. Not my preferred style but it seemed to work. Most Sundays I finish preaching and say to myself, "What the heck kinda nonsense was that?" but this week it felt pretty good. Here's the gist ...

Following Jesus comes with great personal sacrifice.

[57] As they were walking along someone said to Jesus, "I will follow you no matter where you go." [58] But Jesus replied, "Foxes have dens to live in, and birds have nests, but I, the Son of Man, have no home of my own, not even a place to lay my head."


Following Jesus means a rearranging of even our most basic priorities and relationships.

[59] He said to another person, "Come, be my disciple." The man agreed, but he said, "Lord, first let me return home and bury my father." [60] Jesus replied, "Let those who are spiritually dead care for their own dead. Your duty is to go and preach the coming of the Kingdom of God."


Following Jesus demands an unyielding life focus.

[61] Another said, "Yes, Lord, I will follow you, but first let me say good-bye to my family." [62] But Jesus told him, "Anyone who puts a hand to the plow and then looks back is not fit for the Kingdom of God."

Comments on "Yesterday's Sermon"

 

post a comment