• The Met
  • The Art Renewal Center
  • William Bouguereau

  • My Favorite Art
  • Jeune Fille se Defendant Contre L'amour
    by William Bouguereau

  • Le_ravissement de Psyche
    by William Bouguereau

  • Flagellation de Notre Seigneur Jésus Christ
    by William Bouguereau
My Photo
Name:
Location: Liverpool, NY

"In my house, I'm a big deal. That's all that matters."

email

About The Ultra Rev

Facebook


Free Hit Counters

Powered by Blogger

Wednesday, October 20, 2004

Regret, Apologies & Repentance

For days before the Windosr Report came out, the leaks were saying that the Episcopal Church had to apologize to the rest of the Anglican Communion, which some interpreted that the church had to repent. However, the exact language of the Windsor Report states that the Episcopal Church ought to express regret. I don't think all of those things are the same. Apologize. Repent. Regret.

Seems to me that Regret signifies that one feels badly about the choice they made or the timing of that choice or the outcome of that choice. One who regrets does not necessarily say that they are Sorry.

Now Sorry indicates not only does one feel badly about the choice they made but also admits they were wrong for said action. Sorry admits culpability.

But repentance goes a step further. Repentance says not only was I wrong but I will stop doing said action or won't do it again and will change my ways. The Hebrew word for repentance is shuv, which roughly means to do a U-turn, turn back, change directions.

I think the Eames Commission, who produced the Windsor Report, missed the mark and will come to regret their choice of words in this report. i'm not sure they will feel sorry though. That would require them to understand they were wrong. And it is clear by choosing the word Regret instead of Repent for the Episcopal Churches actions, they do not understand right from wrong.

Comments on "Regret, Apologies & Repentance"

 

post a comment