• The Met
  • The Art Renewal Center
  • William Bouguereau

  • My Favorite Art
  • Jeune Fille se Defendant Contre L'amour
    by William Bouguereau

  • Le_ravissement de Psyche
    by William Bouguereau

  • Flagellation de Notre Seigneur Jésus Christ
    by William Bouguereau
My Photo
Name:
Location: Liverpool, NY

"In my house, I'm a big deal. That's all that matters."

email

About The Ultra Rev

Facebook


Free Hit Counters

Powered by Blogger

Thursday, May 12, 2005

Dinner

I was bad to my body today and didn't eat anything until about 3:30 pm. I hate when I act like a boomer workaholic who puts his work above self care. That's just not right. Nothing was really that important. Everything today was urgent and there was a lot. Still no excuse.

Anyway, for breakfast, lunch and dinner in one meal I went to the Cucina as my wife was out of town with the kids and I didn't feel like cooking. Usually I make linguine and clam sauce whenever I'm on my own but I was too tired today.

My friends Pete & Brenda own and run the Cucina, an absolutely delightful, classy, upscale Italian restaurant. Brenda is one of these people who could decorate her garbage dumpster out in the alley and make it look like you want to live there. On top of that, she is such an extraordinary chef that she could pick stuff out of the dumpster and turn it into a delicacy. She's nearly a magician with food.

I got to know Pete and Brenda through my involvement with the local evangelism crusade. Pete leads the Finance Team, and Brenda has volunteered to take care of the hospitality rooms for the guest artists and team members. I enjoy my new friendship with them so much. I like them because they attend a local Pentecostal church and serve wine with a full bar in their restaurant. While I was in the restaurant today, I was reviewing the lectionary texts which includes Psalm 104 ...

14You cause the grass to grow for the livestock
and plants for man to cultivate,
that he may bring forth food from the earth
15and wine to gladden the heart of man,
oil to make his face shine
and bread to strengthen man's heart.


(Yes, that's right. Wine is a gift from God to bring gladness to humanity.)

For me, the best part of being involved with this event has been making so many new friends, who whenever I go to a meeting with them or see them out somewhere I just feel blessed to be with them. I'm really grateful. I've met so many great pastors and lay people and my life is truly better for knowing them.

Today I had spicy sausage soup, stuffed rigatoni with a pomodoro sauce and sauteed peppers & onions and a hint of rosemary. Of course there was some garlic bread. And for dessert, a little French roast coffee and a peanut butter pie. I was stuffed. Now I kind of went over there because I wanted to be a blessing to them and support their business. They have given so much to this evangelism project I really just wanted to bless them back.

First Brenda, then Pete came out and visited for a bit and then back to work. After my waitress, also named Brenda, brought me dessert and said, "When you're done, you're free to go. Pete took care of your bill." He's so generous. I could tell you stories. But I was a little disappointed because I want to bless him. I saw him at a meeting later and called him a blessing thief.

But here was the real problem. I was going to pay with a credit card as I was out of cash. So when Pete picks up the tab I couldn't leave Brenda the Waitress a nice tip. Now I have to go back and take care of her another day.

I hope all my blog friends will come visit me and we'll go to the Cucina. And then we'll head up to A-Bay and eat at Pete's other restaurant, Cavallario's Bayside Pizza. Pete will probably steal the check again so make sure you have cash for his fantastic waitstaff.

Comments on "Dinner"

 

Blogger Rick said ... (2:41 PM, May 16, 2005) : 

Thanks for the invite. I'd love to come. When shall I expect my airline ticket to arrive in the mail?

Rick the Texan

 

post a comment