• The Met
  • The Art Renewal Center
  • William Bouguereau

  • My Favorite Art
  • Jeune Fille se Defendant Contre L'amour
    by William Bouguereau

  • Le_ravissement de Psyche
    by William Bouguereau

  • Flagellation de Notre Seigneur Jésus Christ
    by William Bouguereau
My Photo
Name:
Location: Liverpool, NY

"In my house, I'm a big deal. That's all that matters."

email

About The Ultra Rev

Facebook


Free Hit Counters

Powered by Blogger

Friday, August 05, 2005

Welcome to The Land of the Ultra Rev

Newzjunky.com linked to my blog today. Covenant Blogs will also be putting me in their RSS feed. In fact, you may be reading this blog because you saw my name listed in one of these places.

I am a pastor ordained in the Evangelical Covenant Church, but serving in an Episcopal Church. I live in Black River, NY.

This blog consists of my various ramblings about theology, culture, my family & life and sometimes wine. Whilst I am thoroughly evangelical in theology, evangelical culture makes me nauseous and so I often like to poke fun at it. I also blog about the current Anglican crisis and the nonsensical organization called the Episcopal Church. I like to blog about God at work in my life. I have offended people on occasion and have been known to delete or change entries when the offended asks.

Why "theultrarev"? Here's the deal ... In the Anglican Church, they have various titles for varying callings within priesthood.

If you are a Deacon, you are called "Deacon ..." or "The Rev. ..."
If you are an Archdeacon, you are called "The Venerable ..."
If you are a Priest you are called "The Rev."
If you are a Dean of a cathedral or district, you are "The Very Rev."
If you are a Bishop, you are "The Right Rev."
If you are the Presiding Bishop, you are "The Most Rev." and you can also be called a Primate.

I just didn't want to be out done. When I was a pastor in Ohio I used to irreverently refer to myself as The Most Rev. Then one kind man in my church, whom I love and miss dearly, Ed Palmer, started sending me mail addressed to "The Ultra Rev. ..." and it stuck. So now I am the Bishop of My Desk, which is a relatively small diocese that I have a great deal of difficulty managing with one cantankerous clergyman.

I am considering a promotion to The Supreme Rev.

Thanks for visiting The Land of the Ultra Rev. Comments are encouraged.

Comments on "Welcome to The Land of the Ultra Rev"

 

Blogger Rick said ... (11:51 AM, August 06, 2005) : 

My brother used to send mail to me addressed to "the Most..." I sent him mail addressed to "the Ir-..."
-Rick
P.S. I see you're getting junk comments - I've had one of those myself. Drag, huh?

 

post a comment