• The Met
  • The Art Renewal Center
  • William Bouguereau

  • My Favorite Art
  • Jeune Fille se Defendant Contre L'amour
    by William Bouguereau

  • Le_ravissement de Psyche
    by William Bouguereau

  • Flagellation de Notre Seigneur Jésus Christ
    by William Bouguereau
My Photo
Name:
Location: Liverpool, NY

"In my house, I'm a big deal. That's all that matters."

email

About The Ultra Rev

Facebook


Free Hit Counters

Powered by Blogger

Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Electronic Publishing - Lulu.com makes hardcover book publishing affordable

I have begun working on my first book. It is going to be a short hymnal for playing an Appalachian Lap Dulcimer. And I am going to self publish through Electronic Publishing - Lulu.com.

Here's the story. When I was living in Ohio, I took a community education course to make an Appalachian Lap Dulcimer. One great thing about living in the Cleveland area are the Metroparks — gorgeous parks that ring the whole city and offer many community education classes and events for adults and kids.

The 3 string dulcimer I made was from a kit where the body is made from a high grade corrugated cardboard and the fret board is made from wood. I had to fold the box, glue it together and glue the fret board onto the body. There were a couple nails hammered into the board for the strings to be attached and gears for tuning keys. Voila! Dulcimer! Rev. Jerry Lange says it's made out of a cereal box.

It came with a few mini-booklets with some basic songs like Happy Birthday, Amazing Grace, some Christmas carols and a bunch of folk music. All of the songs come with numbers over the top of the words so you know which fret to play. One of the first songs I mastered was Away In A Manger, which would look like this:

7 7 6 5 5 4 4 3 2 2 1
A-way in a manger, no crib for a bed.

This felt so good. I was never a musician before. Never was in chorus, didn't take piano, never sung in the choir, never took instrument lessons, never took music lessons. So when I learned to play this dulcimer I was ecstatic. I eventually figured out which notes on which lines of the score corresponded with certain frets on the dulcimer.

And so it would happen, when I was in church on Sunday we would sing a hymn, and I would think, "I can play that." After church was over I would rush home and pluck it out and figure out all the numbers. Evenutally I figured out about 2 dozen songs and now I will publish my own dulcimer hymnal.

The Land of the Ultra Rev will be the official announcement site for sales, so you can be assured dear readers you will be the first to know. I'm sure you can't wait to get one.

Comments on "Electronic Publishing - Lulu.com makes hardcover book publishing affordable"

 

Blogger Rick said ... (9:26 AM, November 16, 2005) : 

I hadn't seen lulu's hard cover option - thanks for the tip. Last year I wrote 25 sonnets as a gift to Alicia for our 25th wedding anniversary. I published them using cafepress.com (see http://shop.lindholtz.net) and she was very pleased with the results, as was I (see http://sonnet.lindholtz.net for a sample.)

 

post a comment