• The Met
  • The Art Renewal Center
  • William Bouguereau

  • My Favorite Art
  • Jeune Fille se Defendant Contre L'amour
    by William Bouguereau

  • Le_ravissement de Psyche
    by William Bouguereau

  • Flagellation de Notre Seigneur Jésus Christ
    by William Bouguereau
My Photo
Name:
Location: Liverpool, NY

"In my house, I'm a big deal. That's all that matters."

email

About The Ultra Rev

Facebook


Free Hit Counters

Powered by Blogger

Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Monday Morning Insight Weblog: Why Young Pastors Leave the Ministry from Naked Religion

My esteemed colleague BJ B is making the big time with his blog Naked Religion. Monday Morning Insight picked up one of his recent posts and I was blown away by the response. He had 20-30 hits on his blog that day but the number of responses to it on the MMI site is staggering.

I remember several years ago, H.B. London from Focus on the Family came to speak at a Great Lakes Conference pastor's retreat. At that time he suggested that 50% of ministers were leaving ministry within 5 years of being ordained. They were stressed out, burned out, disillusioned, frustrated beyond understanding, angry, hurt, abused, lost, under trained and bored.

I've been through some of that and it is unfathomably painful. But I am really glad to have served at Trinity Church most recently. There were some people there who offered a lot of unconditional love that was really healing to me. Things weren't perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but I encountered some grace bearing people there who treasured the good in me and tolerated some of the bad. I'm thankful I didn't quit after 5 years.

Comments on "Monday Morning Insight Weblog: Why Young Pastors Leave the Ministry from Naked Religion"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:36 PM, November 03, 2005) : 

Dude-- What do you think the response to this topic means? Is it an aberation is there a lot of untapped angst out there that my feeble attempts to address revealed? Just wondering.

Thanks for the visibility on your site.

BJB

 

Blogger theultrarev said ... (12:08 AM, November 04, 2005) : 

I think what it means is that 50% leave ministry within 5 years and probably another significant percentage wish they could.

I know that at several points over the past 10 years of ministry, if I had had another feasible option to feed my family I would have taken it. No question.

I don't think the response to your post is an aberation. You touched a tender wound in the hearts of the clergy the church.

A guess a bigger problem than the one you stated is -- does the church care? Do they care about anything other than getting their own way?

 

post a comment