• The Met
  • The Art Renewal Center
  • William Bouguereau

  • My Favorite Art
  • Jeune Fille se Defendant Contre L'amour
    by William Bouguereau

  • Le_ravissement de Psyche
    by William Bouguereau

  • Flagellation de Notre Seigneur Jésus Christ
    by William Bouguereau
My Photo
Name:
Location: Liverpool, NY

"In my house, I'm a big deal. That's all that matters."

email

About The Ultra Rev

Facebook


Free Hit Counters

Powered by Blogger

Thursday, May 18, 2006

Overwhelmed Prayers

I'm overwhelmed at the moment with tasks and issues begging for me to fix them ... leaky faucets, gurgling water heater, broken trees needing to be chain sawed, a knee deep lawn of weeds and not grass, financial issues, family relationships, etc. All that on top of my personal issues of health and my spiritual life not being in a good place right now, and a couple of issues at work that I need fixed NOW. And there's just no time right now with Little League, weddings, parties, etc. It's keeping me up at night a little.

I remember my seminary theology professor, the legendary St. John of Weborg saying there would be days like this. He would talk about the prayer book, the Psalms, the Lord's Prayer and written prayers for times like these. He would talk about how there would be times when our own words and eloquence would fail us and we would need the prayers of others to help us to pray.

All the more reason I think Weborg should have a blog. I know he prefers a pencil but perhaps he could write some stuff out and get some kid in his church to scan in his scriblings. We would all be better and wiser for it.

I found this prayer by St. Thomas Aquinas:

O creator past all telling,
you have appointed from the treasures of your wisdom
the hierarchies of angels,
disposing them in wondrous order
above the bright heavens,
and have so beautifully set out all parts of the universe.

You we call the true fount of wisdom
and the noble origin of all things.
Be pleased to shed
on the darkness of mind in which I was born,
The twofold beam of your light
and warmth to dispel my ignorance and sin.

You make eloquent the tongues of children.
Then instruct my speech
and touch my lips with graciousness.
Make me keen to understand, quick to learn,
able to remember;
make me delicate to interpret and ready to speak.

Guide my going in and going forward,
lead home my going forth.
You are true God and true man,
and live for ever and ever.

--St Thomas Aquinas, 1225-74

Show me your ways, O LORD, teach me your paths;
guide me in your truth and teach me,
for you are God my Savior,
and my hope is in you all day long.
Psalm 25:4-5

Comments on "Overwhelmed Prayers"

 

post a comment