• The Met
  • The Art Renewal Center
  • William Bouguereau

  • My Favorite Art
  • Jeune Fille se Defendant Contre L'amour
    by William Bouguereau

  • Le_ravissement de Psyche
    by William Bouguereau

  • Flagellation de Notre Seigneur Jésus Christ
    by William Bouguereau
My Photo
Name:
Location: Liverpool, NY

"In my house, I'm a big deal. That's all that matters."

email

About The Ultra Rev

Facebook


Free Hit Counters

Powered by Blogger

Sunday, May 21, 2006

Watertown Church of the Nazarene (315) 782-3840

I go to a really great church in Watertown, NY. Now some of my friends marvel that I, a connoisseur of fine wines of the $10 a bottle variety, attend a Nazarene Church. Yes, I do and I love it. Why? Let me give you several very good reasons ...

#1 GOD. I feel God's presence so strongly when I am there on Sunday and am often moved to tears and deep reflection on my life as a Christian. It's a combination of the ministry of the Word by Pastor Greg and the ministry of music by Rebecca & the worship team. I experience God when I'm there: I sense His leading and directing very strongly. Going to church here has been good for my soul.

#2 COMMITMENT TO THE UNCHURCHED. The church leadership thinks creatively in ways to reach the unchurched of the north country. They're getting ready to pull the trigger on the multicampus concept and we're not averaging 500 on a Sunday. They sponsor a website for people to listen to the Jefferson County Scanner. And in today's bulletin there was an announcement where we're hosting a Tractor Pull. There is a Celebrate Recovery ministry, ministry to single moms, a softball team, a plethora of children's ministries, special events that are of such a quality that you could invite an unchurched person to attend, etc. And I don't hear anyone complain about how much it costs.

#3 NURSERY. The nursery is first rate, especially since it was carpeted & painted recently. Today we celebrated children and the nursery workers in the service. The people and leadership of the church value children and youth.

#4 PASTORS. I consider the pastors my friends. The newspaper in town recently published a huge article about a historic church in Watertown (not our church) with some parishioners having a dispute with their pastor. It was just disgraceful to see it plastered in the newspaper like that. And I know Greg & the staff have faced that with knuckleheads from the congregation. But I am mindful of that passage in 1 Peter 3 "But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give the reason for the hope you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander." The pastors of my church are of such a quality that you would look like an ignoramus if you slandered them.

I could brag a little longer but I won't. Sure there are issues that need work in the church too or things I don't like. But my conclusion is this: even if they don't appreciate fine wine, what is more important is they appreciate the creator of fine wine, God Himself and they bring glory to His name and are working fiercely to grow His Kingdom.


Today is Sunday. Another good day at church was had by all.

Comments on "Watertown Church of the Nazarene (315) 782-3840"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:04 PM, June 12, 2006) : 

Certainly it is made clear in the New Testament that drinking in excess is wrong, but even Christ admits to enjoying wine. To defent modest consumption, it is not worth using the standard line of defense, that is, noting that Jesus's first miracle was turning water into wine.

Jesus calls himself a drinker of wine, when He takes the time to note the difference in approach between Himself and the one who cleared the way for Him, John the Baptist. He notes several differences between the two and notes that it is the results of their ministries - turning away from sin - that matters most.

He said in Luke: "John the Baptist came, and he fasted and drank no wine, and you said, 'He has a demon in him!' The Son of Man came, and He ate and drank and you said, "Look at this man! He is a glutton and wine drinker, a friend of tax collectors and other outcasts!' God's wisdom, however, is shown to be true by all who accept it."

As for the article in the paper, it is dangerous when those who claim to know literally the word of Christ do not appear to have read it. That is the danger in preachers such as Mr. LaBouf. I applaud the paper for its article and the courage of those concerned by Mr. Labouf's fundamentalism.

He claims that the Bible warns against "vain repetitions," yet reputable translations of the text do not use such a term and have Jesus speaking in criticism of pagans who pray long prayers in the belief that the longer they pray the more likely it will be for their god to hear them. The Our Father is given as a prayer from the heart. A true prayer is what Christ recommends.

My second concern about Mr. LaBouf is his iconoclastic beliefs, which have resulted in the removal of Christ's image and the presence of his own. He defends this by saying "God is to be worshipped in spirit and truth."

That statement from Christ relates to the location of worship, when the Samaritan woman tries to predict why she thinks Jesus a Jew would not associate with her. She acknowledges that He is a prophet and says her ancestors worshipped on the mountain, but Jews say that Jerusalem is where you should worship God.

Jesus in John responds: "Believe me woman, the time will come when people will not worship the Father either on this mountain or in Jerusalem. You Samaritans do not really know whom you worship, but we Jews know whom we worship, because it is from the Jews that salvation comes. But the time is coming and is already here when by the power of God's Spirit people will worship the Father as her really is, offering Him the true worship that He wants. God is Spirit, and only by the power of His Spirit can people worship Him as He really is."

Furthermore, the Old Testament Commandment is to worship no god but me and while it says not to make images of things in heaven, on earth or in the sea, is it not then wrong to have any piece of art? No. No the commandment says that God tolerates no Rivals. Tim's image Rivals Jesus. Jesus's image does not rival his Father, in whom He is One.

Regardless, though, I hope that Mr. LaBouf is of a pure heart and is leading his flock for the purpose of bringing them to Jesus and not for any other reason. For Christ offered a stern warning for those who lead His children astray.

 

Blogger theultrarev said ... (11:38 PM, June 12, 2006) : 

Interesting. Thank you for taking the time to read my blog and post your well thought out comments.

I hope that Tim and his church come to reconcilliation on their issues. How painful it must be for all of them to see their divisions made public in the news. I really enjoy my church whole heartedly and hope the same will be true for our brothers and sisters in Christ there.

 

post a comment