• The Met
  • The Art Renewal Center
  • William Bouguereau

  • My Favorite Art
  • Jeune Fille se Defendant Contre L'amour
    by William Bouguereau

  • Le_ravissement de Psyche
    by William Bouguereau

  • Flagellation de Notre Seigneur Jésus Christ
    by William Bouguereau
My Photo
Name:
Location: Liverpool, NY

"In my house, I'm a big deal. That's all that matters."

email

About The Ultra Rev

Facebook


Free Hit Counters

Powered by Blogger

Sunday, December 16, 2007

In One Word, Who Are You?

I read this article and was reminded of Beth Bilynskyj's response to my post "Whatever Became of the Public Reading of Scripture?" Essentially Beth's point is that post-modern people value and use words differently than previous generations. Here's a quote from the linked article:
"I’m not trying to propose our society function without language, just quit defining your life by the words of it. Eighty or ninety percent of language is conveyed through the body, which is a physical way of displaying emotions and attitudes. A bunch of sounds are given too much credit for being what really defines reality."
Christian vs. Christ Follower

The title of the article made me think about the current trend for believers in Jesus to describe themselves as 'Christ followers' instead of as a 'Christian'. I almost like it. If I was to say, "I'm a Christ follower", I feel some greater sense of obligation, responsibility, desire, etc. to live out the commands of Christ. If I call myself a Christ follower, I personally just can't coast in my faith, which I am prone to do sometimes. I like that.

On the other hand, it feels very individualistic to me. When I say, "I'm a Christian." I identify myself as part a group, The Church. I'm not just a follower -- all by myself -- but the word Christian, though it has some baggage, has a sense of community.

Comments on "In One Word, Who Are You?"

 

post a comment