• The Met
  • The Art Renewal Center
  • William Bouguereau

  • My Favorite Art
  • Jeune Fille se Defendant Contre L'amour
    by William Bouguereau

  • Le_ravissement de Psyche
    by William Bouguereau

  • Flagellation de Notre Seigneur Jésus Christ
    by William Bouguereau
My Photo
Name:
Location: Liverpool, NY

"In my house, I'm a big deal. That's all that matters."

email

About The Ultra Rev

Facebook


Free Hit Counters

Powered by Blogger

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Fewer Clergy Openings

Churches Seeking Staff - Evangelical Covenant Church

Only 19 senior pastor positions listed at the Churches Seeking Staff for the Evangelical Covenant Church — 1 of them part-time.  That is the fewest I have ever seen available though I think I know of 4 openings that have not been listed yet.

All I have is anecdotal evidence from conversations with several ministers and judicatories but it appears that fewer ministers are moving right now.  Many that I have talked to attribute this to the economic downturn of that past year plus.  One local leader said he normally has 5-10% of his 100 churches in upstate NY open at any given time.  Right now he has 1 opening.

Comments on "Fewer Clergy Openings"

 

Blogger Rick said ... (3:30 PM, February 18, 2010) : 

I'll offer you an alternative or additional explanation. The pig in the python (aka the boomer generation) is anywhere from 2 to 12 years away from 65 (based on the 2 largest birth years, 1947 and 1957.) So the leading edge of boomers have probably arrived at what they would like to consider their last position before retiring at age 65 or 67 (though a few will retire earlier). Thus they are a large cohort of people who are not moving. If this theorem is correct, I would expect to see the logjam break in 2-5 years, and 12 years from now I'd expect it to be VERY loose.

 

Blogger theultrarev said ... (3:34 PM, February 18, 2010) : 

Great observation. Hadn't thought of that but actually know a few who fit that description.

Of course that doesn't help us today.

 

post a comment