• The Met
  • The Art Renewal Center
  • William Bouguereau

  • My Favorite Art
  • Jeune Fille se Defendant Contre L'amour
    by William Bouguereau

  • Le_ravissement de Psyche
    by William Bouguereau

  • Flagellation de Notre Seigneur Jésus Christ
    by William Bouguereau
My Photo
Name:
Location: Liverpool, NY

"In my house, I'm a big deal. That's all that matters."

email

About The Ultra Rev

Facebook


Free Hit Counters

Powered by Blogger

Wednesday, July 21, 2004

Eucharistic Wine

I don't know that I could go back to having grapejuice during communion.

In my church in OH I began using a non-alcoholic wine for communion. Some complained of the taste. I said, "The cross wasn't sweet and I don't think our memorial ought to be either. Jesus didn't hold up a cup of Welch's. He had wine in the cup."

Is part of the Eucharistic symbol of the blood of Christ neutralized when we use grape juice instead of wine?

"Well, what about alcoholics who can't have wine?" Yeah, well what about those carboholics on the South Beach diet who can't have bread or wine, or more seriously, those with various kinds of allergies? Certainly there are ways to serve those with special needs but in general, could our symbol be more powerful when wine is used instead of grape juice?

Of course, I have more questions about the Eucharist ...

Does intinction make us look like Judas?

Shouldn't we really drink from a common cup (which of course would encourage using alcohol to help kill the germs)?

Just some thoughts.

Comments on "Eucharistic Wine"

 

Blogger Luke said ... (3:51 PM, August 04, 2004) : 

Hey Ultra Rev!

Oh, my, did you hit on some good ones here. Can I add to it? Why shouldn't we take water at communion, with the faith that it will be turned to wine?

Sounds smart ah… ah... smart aleck, doesn't it? But it isn't the burgundy, or port, or blush zin - it is what Jesus makes it - in our mouths, in our hearts, in our minds.

As you know, I grew up Episcopal. I was an altar boy, working my way up the chain of command to First Server (wow, what I wouldn't give for that title in the hereafter!!!). I'm used to wine and a common communion cup. Yet, looking back, the most meaningful communions I've ever taken have been because I felt the mystery of Tops Split Top white mushy bread becoming the Body in my hands, before I lifted it to my lips.

Does it matter what becomes the Blood of Christ?

Does it matter what I was, before Christ converted me?

 

post a comment