• The Met
  • The Art Renewal Center
  • William Bouguereau

  • My Favorite Art
  • Jeune Fille se Defendant Contre L'amour
    by William Bouguereau

  • Le_ravissement de Psyche
    by William Bouguereau

  • Flagellation de Notre Seigneur Jésus Christ
    by William Bouguereau
My Photo
Name:
Location: Liverpool, NY

"In my house, I'm a big deal. That's all that matters."

email

About The Ultra Rev

Facebook


Free Hit Counters

Powered by Blogger

Saturday, August 06, 2005

A conversation about God — Part II: Subjective

Another guy, Tannon, who is in his mid 20's, was also there. I think he's got a really kewl name. "Hi, my name is Tannon." There's just something suave and debonair about it. Anyway, ...

Tannon broke the ice saying something about how warm and touchy, feely I was. Note the sarcasm. "So PS, what are the other objections you have?" (The call me PS, as in Pastor Steve).

"Well, let me ask a question. Sharon, do you really believe all religions are heading in the same direction? Like what about cult type groups like — Jonestown ... Branch Davidians ... Extreme 'right wing' Muslims ... suicidal UFO groups ... those who don't believe in God ... religions requiring the sacrifice of babies, virgins or other humans ... Satanism ..."

"Now you're playing with me." she said. "Certainly those groups that hurt people and promote hate, are not recognizing God's goodness in each person. If they desecrate the dignity of another they aren't a valid religion."

"So some religions are in and some are out, some are valid and some aren't?" I asked. "Right." she said. "So who gets to decide whose in and whose out? How do you know which are authentic religions and which are not?" I wondered.

She knew where I was going with this. She suggested something about criteria and religions promoting love but stopped herself. "I know what you're going say next. 'Where do the standards come from?' I think we should get to decide. If it works for us ..." Her voice trailed off. She didn't even like what she was saying. The more she talked it out, the more obvious she hadn't critically thought it out and the more disappointed she became in her own lack of reasoning.

When she was pressed, even so gently by me, she realized that her position had no ultimate standard. It was purely subjective. The flaws in that were obvious.

And she really didn't know that much about other religions. It's easy to generalize when you're thinking about Christianity, Islam and Judaism. Sure, they all sound like they're heading in the same direction. But when I pressed about other religions, she really didn't have a clue about what they believed. They are so diverse and really cannot be meshed.

"To answer your question Tannon, another objection I have is the subjective nature of the position. It's really a made up religion in and of itself. It really is difficult to say all religions are heading in the same direction. Which then leads to the question about which ones are valid and which are not, which leads to the question of who gets to decide or who decides what the standards are by which we make an evaluation. Any answer you come up is just one person's opinion over another. It's purely subjective and lacks any ultimate standard.

"I like Christianity because it doesn't claim to be discovered by humans and based on human standards. Instead it claims that God revealed Himself to humanity for a relationship with them. He created them. They rebelled. He pursued them in love. Christianity is not about Christians claiming to be right and everyone else is wrong. Christianity is about God. I can't speak a lot about the 'rightness' of it over other belief systems. But I do feel loved and pursued by God, and compelled to follow him as best I know how."

That didn't really satisfy her but she wasn't satisfied with herself either. I'm not sure I like the answer either but it was the drivel that was pouring out of my mouth at the moment.

Comments on "A conversation about God — Part II: Subjective"

 

post a comment