• The Met
  • The Art Renewal Center
  • William Bouguereau

  • My Favorite Art
  • Jeune Fille se Defendant Contre L'amour
    by William Bouguereau

  • Le_ravissement de Psyche
    by William Bouguereau

  • Flagellation de Notre Seigneur Jésus Christ
    by William Bouguereau
My Photo
Name:
Location: Liverpool, NY

"In my house, I'm a big deal. That's all that matters."

email

About The Ultra Rev

Facebook


Free Hit Counters

Powered by Blogger

Saturday, March 04, 2006

Luther's Prayer's & Others

On a listserve I'm subscribed to someone recently mentioned Martin Luther's sacristy prayer and that sparked a little research with some meaningful results.
O Lord God, dear Father in heaven, I am indeed unworthy of the office and ministry in which I am to make known Thy glory and to nurture and to serve this congregation. But since Thou has appointed me to be a pastor and teacher, and the people are in need of the teachings and the instructions, O be Thou my helper and let Thy holy angels attend me. Then if Thou art pleased to accomplish anything through me, to Thy glory and not to mine or to the praise of men, grant me, out of Thy pure grace and mercy, a right understanding of Thy Word and that I may, also, diligently perform it. O Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the living God, Thou Shepherd and Bishop of our our souls, send Thy Holy Spirit that He may work with me, yes, that He may work in me to will and to do through Thy divine strength according to Thy good pleasure. Amen.
___________________________

Lord of the Hills Lutheran Church - Prayers.
An excellent collection of prayers and not just Luther's.


___________________________

Luther's Morning and Evening Prayer

___________________________

The Upward Call: Morning Prayers: "This reading is from Lancelot Andrews, who was born into a Puritan family, but ended up as an Anglican bishop in the 16th century. The book Foster quotes from is Lancelot Andrews and His Private Devotions. The selections are prayers that Andrews wrote.
I believe in you, O God, Father, Word, Spirit – one God. I believe that by your Fatherly love all things were created; that by your goodness and love all things have been gathered into one in your Word, who for us and for our salvation became flesh, was conceived, born, suffered, was crucified and was buried, descended, rose again, ascended, sat down, and will return and judge.

I believe that by the operation of your Holy Spirit you have called the whole world into a commonwealth of faith and holiness. I believe in the communion of saints, the forgiveness of sins in this world, and the resurrection of the flesh and life everlasting in the world to come. I believe this most holy faith, once delivered to the saints. O Lord, help me in my unbelief.

Help me to receive faith from his miraculous conception, humility from his lowly birth, patience from his suffering, power to crucify the sin in my life from his Cross, burial of all my evil thoughts in good works from his burial. Grant that I might be able to meditate on hell from his"

Comments on "Luther's Prayer's & Others"

 

post a comment