• The Met
  • The Art Renewal Center
  • William Bouguereau

  • My Favorite Art
  • Jeune Fille se Defendant Contre L'amour
    by William Bouguereau

  • Le_ravissement de Psyche
    by William Bouguereau

  • Flagellation de Notre Seigneur Jésus Christ
    by William Bouguereau
My Photo
Name:
Location: Liverpool, NY

"In my house, I'm a big deal. That's all that matters."

email

About The Ultra Rev

Facebook


Free Hit Counters

Powered by Blogger

Monday, February 26, 2007

I Told You So ...

I told you this was coming. Obesity in children was going to eventually be called child abuse and children would be put into foster care because of it.

BREITBART.COM - Mother May Lose Custody of Obese Boy

Some interesting quotes from the article ....

Child abuse is not just about hitting your children or sexually abusing them, it is also about neglect," the official was quoted as saying.


"I'm not saying they can't care for him, but what they are doing is through the way they are treating him and feeding him, they are slowly killing him," he said.


"If I didn't give him enough at teatime then he would just go on at us all night for snacks and stuff," she told ITV.

Comments on "I Told You So ..."

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:41 AM, February 27, 2007) : 

So is this a bad thing? In cases were the parents are showing neglect and feeding the kid crap all day?
I don't know I've seen some instances where you wish someone would do something....a 10 year old girl weighing 135 lbs. because her parents lack the ability to say no...

 

Blogger theultrarev said ... (1:47 PM, February 27, 2007) : 

On the one hand I agree. It's probably not a bad thing. You do want to protect a kid from neglectful parents.

But it raises all sorts of issues for me ...
What about when the kid watches too much TV or plays too many video games? Should the government intervene?
What about when the parents are taking the kid to a church that promotes something that the government doesn't like? Should the government intervene?
What about when the parents smoke? Should the intervene?
What about if the parents are naturists and take their family on vacations at naturist resorts? Should the government intervene?
Where does it end?

And what kind of foster home would the kid go to? Would obese/overweight foster parents be acceptable? Should we start screening foster parents for obesity? Only the skinny should apply? With the obesity epidemic as it is there won't be any foster parents available.

We do need to protect kids. I don't have all the answers. But I know that the government doesn't either. This situation is certainly complex but I have grown very weary of the government taking over the role of the parent.

 

post a comment