• The Met
  • The Art Renewal Center
  • William Bouguereau

  • My Favorite Art
  • Jeune Fille se Defendant Contre L'amour
    by William Bouguereau

  • Le_ravissement de Psyche
    by William Bouguereau

  • Flagellation de Notre Seigneur Jésus Christ
    by William Bouguereau
My Photo
Name:
Location: Liverpool, NY

"In my house, I'm a big deal. That's all that matters."

email

About The Ultra Rev

Facebook


Free Hit Counters

Powered by Blogger

Saturday, September 01, 2007

Tithing

In a conversation with another clergy person this week, he told me that his denomination -- not local church -- takes his tithe (10%) right out of his paycheck like a deduction. Anything he would like to give to the church he pastors is above and beyond the 10% his denomination takes.

That just struck me wrong in a number of ways. It takes away the opportunity to be obedient to God's calling to give. The tithe is just taken, demanded, and the opportunity for you to "give" is taken also.

The other piece that bothered me is that it doesn't go to the local church. Maybe I'm extra-biblical in my beliefs on this but I really think people should give all their tithe to the local church and giving to other ministries should be above and beyond that.

And just in case you were wondering, I forgot to ask whether it was off the gross or net but I'm guessing it's the former.

What do you think?

Comments on "Tithing"

 

Blogger donnjohnson said ... (8:13 AM, September 02, 2007) : 

I think it's a terrible idea. What's the denomination?

 

Blogger theultrarev said ... (7:19 PM, September 02, 2007) : 

Assembly of God. I was looking at a local A/G web site last night and I stumbled upon this: Minister's Tithe's.

Notice the word "requirements". I wonder what happens if you don't pay. Do you lose your credentialing?

 

Blogger Stacey Littlefield said ... (4:03 PM, September 07, 2007) : 

That is absolutely aaaawful. I've never heard of such a thing. And I agree, that just steals the joy of giving and hurts the local church in one blow. Sucks.

 

post a comment