• The Met
  • The Art Renewal Center
  • William Bouguereau

  • My Favorite Art
  • Jeune Fille se Defendant Contre L'amour
    by William Bouguereau

  • Le_ravissement de Psyche
    by William Bouguereau

  • Flagellation de Notre Seigneur Jésus Christ
    by William Bouguereau
My Photo
Name:
Location: Liverpool, NY

"In my house, I'm a big deal. That's all that matters."

email

About The Ultra Rev

Facebook


Free Hit Counters

Powered by Blogger

Thursday, August 19, 2004

Let's Talk About Sex

So I'm working on a new sermon series. Actually its reworking an old sermon series for a new context. God forbid that our people never hear about God's gift of sexuality from the pulpit. The Bible isn't silent on it and the pulpit should not be either.

I will be preaching that sexuality is God's gift for humanity to enjoy and that He gives us prohibitions out of His great love and desire to protect us.

How many sermons have you preached or heard about sexuality?

I made the logo about Sex & the Church first but my wife worried that it sounded like I would be talking about sexual abuse scandals, so I'll probably go with the Bible one. I'm thinking of using it for my newzjunky.com ad.


The best part of preaching is that I get to use one of my favorite jokes. Unfortunately it is an urban legend but funny nonetheless:

On July 20, 1969, commander of the Apollo 11 Lunar Module, Neil Armstrong was the first person to set foot on the moon. His first words after stepping on the moon, "That’s one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind", were televised to Earth and heard by millions. But just before he re-entered the lander, he made the enigmatic remark:

"Good luck, Mr. Gorsky." Many people at NASA thought it was a casual remark concerning some rival Soviet Cosmonaut. However, upon checking, there was no Gorsky in either the Russian or American space programs. Over the years many people questioned Armstrong as to what the "Good luck Mr. Gorsky" statement meant, but Armstrong always just smiled. On July 5, 1995, in Tampa Bay, Florida, while answering questions following a speech, a reporter brought up the 26 year old question to Armstrong. This time he finally responded. Mr. Gorsky had died and so Neil Armstrong felt he could answer the question.

In 1938 when he was a kid in a small Midwest town, he was playing baseball with a friend in the backyard. His friend hit a fly ball, which landed in his neighbor’s yard by the bedroom windows. His neighbors were Mr. and Mrs. Gorsky.

As he leaned down to pick up the ball, young Armstrong heard Mrs. Gorsky shouting at Mr. Gorsky. "Sex! You want sex?! You’ll get sex when the kid next door walks on the moon!"


Comments on "Let's Talk About Sex"

 

post a comment