• The Met
  • The Art Renewal Center
  • William Bouguereau

  • My Favorite Art
  • Jeune Fille se Defendant Contre L'amour
    by William Bouguereau

  • Le_ravissement de Psyche
    by William Bouguereau

  • Flagellation de Notre Seigneur Jésus Christ
    by William Bouguereau
My Photo
Name:
Location: Liverpool, NY

"In my house, I'm a big deal. That's all that matters."

email

About The Ultra Rev

Facebook


Free Hit Counters

Powered by Blogger

Saturday, March 04, 2006

Lent & Fasting

Lent began with a wimper. I did not get to attend Ash Wednesday services anywhere in Dover, DE where I was staying over on business. I have to admit I was really disappointed. It's not like Lent is a high holy day like Christmas or Easter so I'm not sure why I was so disappointed but I was really bothered to not have the freedom in my schedule to make it to services.

I suppose my disappointment speaks to how the church year has become so deeply ingrained in me. I tried to explain this to some colleagues but I'm not sure they understood me or that I even had words to communicate what I am feeling.

Living out the church year is a way of orienting my life to the life of Jesus Christ my Lord and Savior. Now, I recognize that everyday of my life should be fully devoted to Jesus. But sadly it's not. I get caught up in other things and my focus goes in countless other directions. A day like Ash Wednesday and the season of Lent is like a jolt to the system that calls me once again to admit my mortality and sinfulness and reminds me of the price lovingly paid for my soul.

My fasting for Lent is struggling so far. I knew the computer was taking a little too much of my time and that is why I chose to fast from "non-essential" computer using. We're on day 4 and I'm batting .500 so far. It didn't help that I came home to over 150 emails beckoning me and had take a couple dozen pictures in Dover that I wanted to work with.

I see this is going to be a much bigger challenge than I thought.

Comments on "Lent & Fasting"

 

Lent & Fasting'">post a comment