• The Met
  • The Art Renewal Center
  • William Bouguereau

  • My Favorite Art
  • Jeune Fille se Defendant Contre L'amour
    by William Bouguereau

  • Le_ravissement de Psyche
    by William Bouguereau

  • Flagellation de Notre Seigneur Jésus Christ
    by William Bouguereau
My Photo
Name:
Location: Liverpool, NY

"In my house, I'm a big deal. That's all that matters."

email

About The Ultra Rev

Facebook


Free Hit Counters

Powered by Blogger

Saturday, August 13, 2005

Endings & New Beginnings

Tomorrow — well I guess it's today now since it's past mid night — during the services, my departure from Trinity Episcopal Church effective October 1 will be announced.

I was hired by the previous rector, who has since retired, to create an alternative worship experience using multimedia and a band, and to do youth ministry & evangelsim. The current church leadership wants to go in a new direction and not use any more of their endowment funds to pay me. The interim-rector, who has orchestrated this, has been exceedingly gracious and caring.

I will miss working with my band. I'm really proud of what we have accomplished together in the face of adversity. If you haven't seen them before watch them here. They're awesome! You'll need QuickTime.
My peeps are really brokenhearted. They've worked hard for this. That's the painful part for me. I haven't talked with all the youth yet. I love those kids and that will be excruciating.

My son Carter was sad today when I broke the news to him and Katelyn. He's a tenderhearted little guy. All my kids have loved ¡alive@5! and will miss it. But they understand that Daddy is not disappointed by this, no one's mad at me and I haven't done anything wrong to get fired. Their friends are still their friends, they'll just see them in other places. They could see some positives with it also.

On the other hand, I feel really good. I like change. I learned a ton and have grown a lot since being there. It has helped me heal from previous experiences and I won't leave this one wounded. I've met some incredible people and made friends. It allowed me the opportunity to coordinate the North Country Encounter (a 4 county-wide evangelistic crusade) and work with dozens of really great pastors and lay people. I feel this change will be good for my personal and family's spiritual well and I'm excited about that. I will be paid through the end of the year by Trinity. And if I move any time soon, I'll make tens of thousands of dollars profit on my house.

So what's next? I'll blog about that tomorrow. After my visit to Cooperstown, I'd love to live there and work at the Baseball Hall of Fame. I still work half time for an evangelist and am working on creating events in a couple of new cities for him. I also have a agreement with him through the end of the year so my needs are met. Overall, I thank God for this change and His great provision for my family.

What next Lord?

Comments on "Endings & New Beginnings"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:51 PM, August 14, 2005) : 

It's sad to see a vision you work so hard for become mangled and destroyed by new people's thinking. People think that their way can be better than others. But the Episcopal motto... CHANGE?!?!?!?! Change is coming, my friend - and it's already here. God has taken care of you and your family and will continue to take care of everything. You're right not to leave wounded - I wish I could be that way. Being kicked in the stomach when you're laying on the floor isn't much fun, expecially if you didn't pick the fight. Moving on can be a very good thing. It gives you a chance to find new places, meet new friends, and find a new phase in life. The hardest thing is to keep going after you know it's over. You've got to hang in there for the next several months, wondering what's going to happen and if it's going to succeed or not, or if you've really had an impact on people's lifes. Just leave these last few times with your congregation knowing that you're setting a standard and the congregants can either uphold it and fight for it, or take that standard to another place. The saying: I am the result of everybody I have met. You have set a standard and if the administration upholds that standard, people will be pleased. If the administration abandons that standard, those people will be either hurt or accepting. Time will tell. It's hard to not think of what's going on once you've left, and that's what I'm coming to realize. I think I was too drawn to this area because of what I did earlier - I wanted to see how it would turn out. But now I'm thinking I've got to move on and find other places to go. But it never hurts to keep and eye out just to say, "I told you so!"

 

Blogger Rick said ... (8:19 AM, August 16, 2005) : 

Stevie baby,

From way down here in Astro-land, prayers for clear guidance and direction are coming your way.

Rick

 

post a comment